Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

im goin in ...cover me

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
aug 13th im goin in for a 3 disk replacement ...no not the musical kind. it was suggested i quit smoking for healing purposes that sucks any how any one have stories of recovery

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. please try and quit smoking as the doctor suggested. :T i am sure it will help with the healing process. =D> good luck as you approach your surgery and all the best for a healthy recovery!! :D Jenny :)
  • paulgla...they are replacing one completely deteriorated disk and rebuilding two others. they are going to bone fuse something and rod/plate/screw/duct tape every thing together. sorry I don't have the medical terms for all this.I kinda left the neuro surgeons in shock and am having a hard time remembering every thing he told me.
  • Welcome to Spine Health. I hope to hear good news from you after the 13th. Don't worry about not knowing all the right terms. After a few months you will unfortunately be an ace at that.

Did you injure yourself or was this degenerative?

• best of luck with the surgery. has the sore butt kept you off the waters? i had to give the fishing up.....hope you'll see the big ones jumping soon....
  • I usually tell people that my back trouble is a combination of accidents(cars,snowmobiles,falls from trees & scaffoldings, slips on ice and lifting way too much the wrong way)but lately i have been telling people taht it is a result of my lifestyle.
  • I love the duct tape comment! Getting news that you need major surgery from a neurosurgeon can certainly bring on a serious case of brain fog, LOL. I suggest you get a notebook and jot down any questions you have before your next appointment and even the morning of surgery. There's lots of information here as well on questions to ask your doctor, etc.

You'll be flooded with questions from your friends and family as to what happened to your back. Good response there, my lifestyle, lol.

Best wishes to you! I had fusions last year and am doing fairly well, but do need constant reminders to take things slow and not to overdo. You'll have a new "normal" and it takes time to accept that. OH, and I do love to fish as well especially for trout.

• i am an avid bass fisherman and when Im not workin im out on the boat.I have been trying to squeeze in as much time on the lake as possible before the sugery. Doc says i will not be doing any fishing for atleast 4 months after wards. by then winter will be rounding the corner and i'll be looking foward to ice fishing. was thinking about drilling holes lugging my portable shanty and pulling the snowmobile over to start it if i can get it off the trailer....I hope
  • they can take my bones and even ground me for a while but they will never get my spirit and my humor
  • I had a 2 level lumbar (low back) fusion 1 1/2 years ago. It was the best thing I ever did! Before surgery I dragged my leg around for years using a cane and I was in severe pain. My quality of life (on a scale of 1-10) was a 3. I am walking w/out a cane now, I have many limitations but my quality of life is now a 7. I hope you also have great results from your surgery. Make sure to follow Dr.'s orders after surgery, you will need to make yourself rest for quite awhile. Good luck Pondfisher.
    Faith M
  • I have been looking for a sporting cane that can keep up w/ me. I'm a hard one to keep down for long periods of time.
    i'm one of those people that will give an injury(broken bone) 6 days when the doctor says 6 weeks. this may be a different deal though.....as for the rest ....I can rest all I want when they close the casket.....LOL
  • I am 1 week post op from a similar procedure. I am also not one to let anyone do anything for me. I would fight through pain to play golf, fish and even zodiac on the Ocean but let me give you some advice. Listen to the Dr when he tells you to do as little as possible after the surgery for a number of weeks/months. You will be able to get back to your activities after some months.

I am doing better than I had anticipated but even a small cough hurts like hell. I figure after 2 or 3 more weeks my incision pain will be about over and then I can concentrate on letting the fusion happen. If you do things to hurt this process you will be in for a long tough road.

Best of luck!
  • With your positive attitude and sense of humor I think you are going to do just fine!

I am also having surgery on the 13th. 360 fusion with Optimesh. Its very new and I'm terrified. I will be relying on my usual positive attitude and sense of humor to get me through.

Do you ever get strange looks from the docs when you try to joke with them? The neurologist I went to was very straight faced and unfriendly. After about twenty minutes of him poking and zapping me I finally said while laughing, "I bet you don't get voted doctor of the year!" at first he looked at me like I was crazy then finally shook his head and laughed with me!
  • got that right...i used to call my neurologist JACK THE RIPPER.......poke and push and never a smile....certainly wouldnt be sales people >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • just got back from therapist(thinking kind) she said her husband went thru the same sugery as I am scheduled for. His recovery was a long one but he can now continue to do all the activities he used to. just not at full speed LOL she is going to continue my bi weekly sessions on line so I can keep the home enterainment center managable. she is also going to help me manage my addiction issues concerning the meds prescribed after sugery.Thatis if I continue to be completely honest w/ her.
  • was in need of emergency surgery once wile living in the adirondacks gave me the most miserable meanest bastard known to the surgical field I wasn't too friendly w/ him either once I saw him for the 1st time after my sugery.he will no doubt die a lonely man.And I won't lose any sleep over it
    On the other hand I got neutered in 2000 and the doc was one funny guy. even w/ my business at hand or in hand LOL
  • =)) You're too much! BTW, welcome to SH :H I always like someone with a sense of humor and we could sure use it around here. I think you'll be in good hands since your doc will used the best duct tape available. Maybe he'll fill in the disc with plumber's putty too :D Just kidding. I had a 2 level fusion on L4-S1 over a year ago. Oh, and I was spayed in 2004 (spayed is for females, right?) They took out everything including the kitchen sink. Well, if you need any info or advice feel free to ask. Take care :)
  • Pond - you'll do fine - particularly if you keep up your good humor post-op with the nurses.

Do be careful post-op though - the better you are at healing the sooner you'll get off restrictions. I've seen a lot of people get re-injured. You do have the rest of your life to do what you love. Just take it easy for the next year or two. 4 months seems awfully optimistic for a 3 level.

Oh, check with the doc before spending on a cane. My NS really hates them - he says they aren't balanced and can put a kink back in right where you don't want it.

Delta - I finally got my NS on the humor part -

first - when I asked if I could ever hope for no more pain, he asked if I believed in the resurretion! LOL! Kind of funny, unless you think about it too much.

so - in the hospital post-op he came in on one of my last days there and commented that I looked good that day. In an affected british voice I had to reply, 'it's better to look good than to feel good doc.'

It took him a sec, then he laughed and had to admit that he really liked me as a patient - SO KEEP THE HUMOR :)

Best of Luck on the lucky 13th!
  • With your sense of humor, you ought to do just great. The doc is right -- quitting smoking will help you heal better AND it will save you a lot of money. Good Lord, how can people afford to smoke these days? I quit back in 2001. Cold turkey. It was tough, but I figure if I can do it, anyone can.

Best of luck to you. I had a three-level lumbar fusion. Recovery is a long slow crawl out of hell, but it's worth it. I'm so much better now than I was before.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Being able to see the funny side of things will be a great asset. No doubt in giving up the fags as well. ;)

Good luck on the 13th, Pondfisher and Delta Dawn.

• I like your attitude! You sound like soooo many of us on here...just pushed thru the pain and agony til our bodies said I'm not doing that.I had a 2 level fusion last May and another level this April.It is really important that you listen to the doc's post-op instructions. The pain meds can decieve you into thinking "hey this is great,I can mow the lawn,wax the car,drive 900 miles to a wedding etc...)But...that's not a good idea. Tunes, lots of tunes and a good sense of humor really help me. and rest,good rest. Do you have someone at home to give you a hand for awhile? You will need a little help.
    I hope everything goes great for you...keep us posted on your situation! have a good one Sagehen
  • Good luck , my husband is a major bass fisher as well, my walls show his catches as trophies..the ones he didnt have tall tall about only kidding ,, but it does sem that the bigesst always get away or let go ..going to cabelas and bass pro is a vaction to him.. best wishes for a great recovery!!
  • It's a shocker when they say THREE level fusion. I looked at my doc and said "I didn't know that could be done!"

I'm in the fitness industry and also taught martial arts ( had to retire for a bit) I trained for this surgery and it still kicked my butt. The first 5 days were tough. I wasn't ready to be as weak as I got. Thank God my husband did everything for me.

I'm doing great now. I'm walking 2 a day for 30 minutes each...slow but steady. I'm doing arm exercises given to me by my doc and resting a lot. Eat, sleep and walk.

I agree that 4 months may be too early to start fishing again. My doc said it would be a year or 2 before I will be able to even ride my bike due to the danger of falling.

My toughest thing was getting in and out of bed. If you have a recliner that's the way to go. If not then have a satin sheet on your bed so you can slide and roll onto your pillow using your hand behind your head to guide it.

Good luck!
  • hi pond,

it was great to read your post and all the comments. I needed a good laugh. you are 3 days away and i hope your spirits are still as high as they were, it will help with recoup. I am due for 2 level fusion in 3 weeks 8/31 and getting a bit anxious. hope you drop us a line after surgery to let us know how you are doing. And I hope they found a duct tape as colorful as your humor, no dull gray for you.
    Happy fishing and quit smoking (its bad for you) :)

• here in Australia. I guess it's happening tonight our time. All the best pondfisher, hope you dream of big fish and wake up ready to face a better future.