Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

back to work and not going very well

jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Today was my third day back at work and it is not going good.
First day I did four hrs., second day three,and the third only two hours. I am in sooo much pain. My meds are not controlling it. I am at the point where I am thinking it is time to file for SSD. I think I am going to have to admit defeat this time as much as I hate to admit it. I know it has only been three days but how much do you put your body through before you say enough? Sorry just venting. I have never been one to let my issues control me but at this time I think they have won

• I don't know what to say, other than I felt the exact same about 2 months ago. I still have days that I stop everything for a bit and just try to get the pain under control again.

keep talking! - David
  • you gave it a shot...no sense hurting yourself more...i know because i went through same thing...finally applied back in 2000 and was awarded disability. dont feel bad about it because you did the best you could....
  • Sorry you are having a tough time of it. Maybe more or permenant time off would be good for you. Maybe you'll be able to go back later, who knows. Still having a talk with your doctor and your boss about your issues and filing for ssdi sure wouldn't hurt either. It takes a while to work through the ssdi junk too. Good luck.

• Susan,
    You are the only one who knows how much your body can endure. I also returned to work to land in more surgery, which caused more surgery. Your not giving up or giving in but rather making a choice not to make yourself worse either. I am not sure what you do for a living but if you have made all the ergonomic adjustments and still no relief then you have to look outside the box. Sometimes returning to work after being gone for sometime is a emotional adjustments as well. But only you can separate the emotional from the physical demands on your body. I would definitely be calling the surgeon or whoever is handling your care and inform them of the levels of pain you are in. We all know there is no magic pill that is going to take away the pain maybe he/she has some ideas that may help. congrats to you for making the attempt and you can always say now you tried and won't have to the "what if I would have." Keep us posted on what you decide and we are always here for a ear.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    i saw the surgeon this afternoon and he had me fill out a neck disability index test. I was completely honest answering all the questions and he also discussed with me that it may be my time. I have decided I will give it 2 more weeks(hoping my body will adjust)then see the surgeon again on 8/19 to discuss what my decision is concerning work along with what form of treatment is needed next. According to my score from the test I was severely disabled. So now my next question is does ssd go by the results of this test?
  • Susan,

I don't see details on your surgery or how long it's been. But.. given that test your dr. gave you... yikes.