Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

will coughing after neck surgery?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a 3 level acdf on Friday and I'm doing pretty well - not too much problems swallowing but I do cough. Am I damaging my screws or plate by coughing? I'm paranoid because I'm in a hard collar all the time and feel like I'm putting a lot of pressure on my neck when I cough. Thanks for any advice! Margaret

• Titanium is extremely strong, so it is not likely that the coughing would cause hardware problems, but it can't be comfortable. Is the coughing from a cold or illness, or is it because of the irritation to your throat/esophagus? Try to always have a mint or lemon drop to suck on and see if it will soothe things enough that you won't cough. Of course it is from a cold, you could call your doctor for a prescription cough medicine.

Congratulations on making it through the first few days.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • i didnt damage anything by coughing. my recent mri says solid fusion complete and i coughed a lot too. Good luck with your recovery
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • Hi Cindy - my throat is just irritated so I don't think I have to worry about seeing the doctor. I'll keep using my Riccola cough drops. Thanks for your help! Margaret
  • That's reassuring! Thanks for letting me know your experience - Margaret