Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

shirleysshirley Posts: 201
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Spinal Injections
hi im having a discogram on monday, just wondered who has had it done ? how long did it take, what was pain like, how long before you could drive. any info basically.
hosp had a cancellation so im taking it, but they haven't given me any info about the procedure. and yes im scared :/

• Hi Shirley,
    I've had a couple discograms and they took about a 1/2 hour. They semi-sedate you,but you do feel the pain,you have to, so you can tell them how bad and where it is. I didn't drive for a couple days. Hopefully your discogram will be able to locate the source of your pain,then the Dr will be able to better recommend a treatment.It's not a fun procedure,but it's a doable one. You'll be fine.
    Let us know how it goes. Have a good weekend! Sagehen
  • i will post after and let you know how it goes :SS
  • I know that discograms aren't pain-free and it has to be that way to find the exact source of your pain. Try to develop some mental exercises this weekend to help get you through - I'm not sure what would be good for you, but it could be anything from leaving your body to go to someplace you love, to concentrating on a series of words.

In any case, it'll be over before you know it and then they'll know how to move forward.

Good luck and post back on Tuesday when it's over. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger (yada yada LOL). I'm sending you gentle hugs.
  • of this year before my sugery in July. It hurt worse than anything imaginable. (sorry) I too kind of had no idea how painful it was going to be. I wouldn't do it again. I had that new pain they caused all the way up until my surgery. I wasn't able to drive again. I am not sure what they did back there....but it wasn't fun.
    Sorry if I am scaring you. They did send me home with Dilaudid for the pain....but I was too afraid to take it.
    It is a neccissary part of figuring out what is causing your pain. And you want them to pin point it as exact as they can.
    I was told going in that I would be really sore for about a 3-5 days. But obviously my pain lasted a lot longer than that.
    Prayers sent your way. I hope they find out whats causing all your pain and can get you some relief soon.
  • for all the comments. ive had much more pain since having root nerve blocks in facet joints, just hope this pain won't stay with me as well.
    will post to let you all know how it went
  • I had one done about a year ago, and have another scheduled for the 11th of this month, they are painful but it helped to find what was causing all the pain.
  • On the other side of the coin, I had a discogram on 3 levels and they did not re-create my pain. I was semi-sedated and it was over before I realized they began! One thing, in the recovery area they had me take a few steps and I had a pain spike to 9+ after about 2 steps. They had to help me back to the chair and give me a hefty Norco dose to take the edge off until I could get home. (I didn't bring my meds with me, not a good idea in retrospect - now I always bring my meds with me when I see the docs.)

The procedure is truly an attempt to re-create pain caused by your disc(s) so it can be painful. This is done by pressurizing the disc with a radio-opaque dye. Don't fret, once they find the pain source they will be ready to deal with that very quickly and will inject pain meds in the disc to get rid of the pain. Then a quick cat scan and you're all done. You should probably expect take it easy for a day or two after.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine! I hope the docs can glean some good information to help in your treatment!
  • :''( :''( im so glad its over and done with, never had so much pain in my life and they gave me a sedative, hopefully they will decide to go ahead with fusion now.
    doc couldn't understand why it gave me no leg pain but i told her pain is in my back.
    so glad my daughter came with me, we were both crying.
    never ever want to do that again.
    thanks for all your support
  • I just had my discogram yesterday, and I was so scared, the doc came in and told me everything, I got into the room, and they semi sedated me and then started, I felt like I was going to jump off the table. He injected three discs, the first two where horrible, and the last one nothing. Then it was over, afterwards they gave me fetanyl and dilaudid, instantly I felt relief. He told me to expect to be in pain from the test for quite some time. He gave me a scrip for dilaudid. Once I got home I fell asleep. You will pretty much want to be bed bound following the test. Hopefully this will help.

L4L5 laminotomy/discectomy May 2008
    Reinjured March of this year, found out that L5S1 is problematic as well
  • did the discogram, only one disc involved, wasn't until they had injected the contrast dye that they decided to give sedative, i was shaking violently, couldn't stop. never felt so much pain. no pain relief at all !!!!! nothing.
    just told me i could go home when i was ready, bed was so high i would have fallen off if my daughter was not there, it was set at the lowest height, im only 4 11 and a half inches tall.
    legs felt like jelly, 2nd day i actually felt pretty good, weird, but not too good now, new pains every day, whats going on ?
    does the dye get re-absorbed by the body or do they drain it away after the procedure ?
    i think the body re-absorbs it because as the days go on pain is coming back with a vengeance image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" />
  • Hi Shirley,

I had my discogram on July 11th. After the procedure the doctor totally numbed the tree discs and I felt pain free for the first time in about a year. My husband and I even went out to lunch I felt so good. THEN THE ANAETHESIA WORE OFF. I was in horrible pain for the first 5 or 6 days and didn't feel back to my "normal" for about 10-12 days. Icing my back helped. The good thing is at least it is over.
  • I had my discogram last year and yes, it was the most pain I have ever felt in my life and without the iv meds afterwards I think I would have gone into shock. Once they gave me the post test meds, I was fine until they wore off. I was in severe pain for over a week and it took me about a month to get back to my normal pain level.

I cant believe they do a discogram like they did to you. For me they put me to sleep and set everything up into four of my discs, only waking me up for the thirty seconds or so of the test. Two of my discs caused little to no pain and I would have been fine if that is where they stopped, but then L34 and L5S1 hurt very very badly. But, like I said they dosed me up pretty good with meds after that and I was feeling great, I even tried to get my wife to take me to get coffee.

Even though it caused me that much pain, it was still worth the information gained from it. Prior to the discogram the doctors knew I had issues with my back, but coulnt explain the level of pain I was having. The doctor giving the discogram said the two bad discs were shot and without a doubt said they were causing me a lot of pain. Just to find out where the pain was comming from and how to attemt to fix it was enough reason for my test. I was advised by my surgeon not to get surgery because I would need a three level fusion and the risks of surgery making it worse are too great?

Anyhow, there are many of us that have gone through this stuff and hopefully this gives your surgeon enough information to do a successful surgery. Best of luck and hang in there.
  • Well,Ive been hoping that this pain from the test would go away, its lightened up some, but still gives me trouble. I am still taking the dillaudid, but I hate taking it,I get such headaches. I dont dare try to drive. I go to the Ortho Surgeon on the 24th of this month to discuss surgery.
  • let us know how it goes, i wake in the night and can't lift my right leg off the bed, turning over (rolling like a log) is agony and pain starts on the right and travels across my back and down the front of my left leg ? never had this before the discogram, getting out of bed is ok ish, but to sit down is agony, again all the same pain as trying to turn over. as the day goes on and i make myself more mobile the pain levels come down, prob due to meds, but about 8 pm it flares again, only to have another night of agony and little sleep, im also getting a lot of cramps in toes and calf, do you have this happening ?
    let me know what is going on with your pain experience