Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

vitamins before surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am going to be having spinal surgery soon...

does anyone have any advise as far as vitamins or supplements i can take to help with the healing process...

or anything i must avoid... ???

• You will be having pre op tests before your surgery and you will be given a list of what not to take before your surgery from a list that you will have to provide your doc with. Whatever you may decide to take will have to be stopped before surgery in any event.

My doctor instructed me to stop all meds other than those specifically medically prescribed about a week to ten days pre my spine surgery. I am sure that your doc will do the same.

As far as advice on vitamins and/or supplements, that is a whole huge area which is very subjective and I am sure that you will get lots of independent advice on that subject. You must remember that what suits one person does not necessarily suit another in the unregulated world of Vitamins and supplements and that will be up to you when your surgery is over.

John B
  • Eat healthily and exercise vigorously, if your pain allows. Stop all anti-inflammatories 2 weeks prior to surgery. Try to avoid people with colds or flu. Some people take iron tablets, but check with your doctor first. Then relax and let the surgeons do their best. Good luck!
  • Disagree with the blanket statement of stopping anti- inflammatories (NSAIDS)for 2 weeks-check with your doctor as always. Aspirin should gerally be avoided for at least 10 days due to increased bleeding risk. CAUTION: higher dose vitamin E and some herbal supplements may promote bleeding, which you don't want at surgery.
  • Also, exercise is great, but avoid the temptation to overdo (squeeze in)the exercise. Make sure you are rested right before surgery.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    None of us are doctors. Before you go in for spinal surgery, you have a choice:

- Take the advice of people that may know something
    - Take the advice of your doctor(s)

Its your surgery, your choice.

I know what I would do.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • What most surgeons want their patients to avoid: Vitamin E (very potent anticoagulant), aspirin, NSAIDS like Aleve, ibuprofen, motrin, ginseng, gingko biloba, St. John's Wort, fish oil supplements.
    Good to take? Calcium, vitamin D, Protein supplements.
  • When I scheduled my operation in June they gave me a print out of all herbs to stop taking. The nurse followed up with me a day later and advised me to stop taking all herbs or vitamins. If your having a fusion then stop taking all anti inflams that will slow the fusion process and it thins the blood out during surgery. They will tell you all you need to know at your pre op appointment also. Good luck
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • My Doctors had me take calcium, Vitamin D and a good multi-vitamin. I also make sure I have plenty of protein either through my diet or through protein supplements. None of these can hurt so I am staying with all of them so hopefully my fusion will be fast and successful!
  • ask your doc but as a spine surgeon I want all my patients maximized pre op. That includes supra normal doses of anti oxidants and omega 3's. My usually regime is to recommend the following.

1. 6000-8000 mgs of omega 3 that are deodorized and free from allheavy metals. Pharmaceutical grade is best.

2. 250-700 mgs of Resveratrol a day

3. Men or womans one a day plus 50.

4. Vit A C D and E. I recommend 3000 mgs of vit C and 2000 to 4000 IU of Vit D and normal doses of Vit A an E since those two can make you blood thin so you need to be careful with those two

5. 3 Table spoons of GOJI juice every day and it has to be refined carb free.

6. Acai extract refined carb free.

7. Diet has to be refined carb free for as long as possible to limit inflammation. Complex carbs are fine.

That is my usually recommendations to my spine surgery patients. Hope this helps you.
  • I also want my patients on a Mediterrean diet and one that follows the 5 rules ofleptin control as outlined in the Leptin Diet book or Mastering Leptin book by Byron Richards. This is how you ideally handle pre op spine surgery if you are the patient. All docs are different but I use alot of dietary and hormonal therapies to maximize my patients metabolism before surgery. I want themtuned up totally before recovery not when they are post op.
  • Out of curiosity to you transfuse a lot of your patients? All of my study of the literature shows Vitamin E & fish oils both increase bleeding.
    SH members - please ask YOUR surgeon about this.
  • p.s. i am a vegan... does this pose a problem post surgery as far as healing??
  • Run all supplements past your doc first! Like others have said, Vit E is a big culprit for increasing risk of bleeding. Fish oil has been linked to spontaneous subdural bleeding(brain bleed.) Your doc and his nurse should BOTH be told about any herb or supplement or vitamin. Don't ever feel like you cannot ask, you are paying them for their advice.

You did not mention what type of spine surgery you are having, but if you have nerve pain, Bruce the mod's doc had him take a B complex postop to help with nerve healing. Do not start this all on your own, but ask your doc, you might be surprised how receptive he is to supplements.
  • I do remember my doc telling me to take Vit C postop to help with healing. But, like I said, everyone is different, ask YOUR doc first.

Vegan? Make sure you have enough protein to heal and talk to your doc and nurse about it. I always say nurse also, because sometimes docs might be hurried or thinking more of the specialty procedure where the nurse may have a bit more time to spend with you. But do not assume they will pass the info on to each other, repeat it.
  • Check out EDITED. Top Doctors Choice is a surigical vitamin company developed by a team of orthopedic surgeons. Their supplements will help in bone strength and tissue repair. You will heal faster.

Good Luck!

Spam link not allowed. Removed by authority member, Cath111.
  • and your Anesthesia Team have specific guidelines for vitamin and supplements that are allowed and those that need to be avoided, and the timeline to discontinue these supplements, which maybe longer than discribed in the above posts. Best to get that information from your surgeon!

Please speak with your surgeon as soon as possible to follow his regimen quickly. There are some supplements that if taken right up to surgery time could cause your surgery to be postponed if you did not discontinued their use.