Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

neck disability index test

jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
My neurosurgeon recently had me fill out a neck disability index test. I answered all the questions honestly and per my score I am considered severely disabled. My question is Does SSI look at this test as part of their determination? Will having recent surgery for spinal stenosis hurt my chances of winning? Will they look at the surgery as fixing the problem.
Any information will be helpful.

• Get all of your records from the neurosurgeon including the results of that index. Will definitely help your SSI case. Having surgery shouldn't hurt your chances. Was the index done before or after surgery?

Best wishes to you,

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    The index test was done after surgery. 3 level fusion
    (4th surgery on cervical), with corpectomy at c5-6. I recently have returned to work but have yet to complete a 4 hour day. The pain is too much. I also think I have re-herniated lower lumbar area ( 2 prior discectomy) I have a MRI scheduled next week but regardless of what it shows I think I have to say enough when it comes to more surgery. I think my body is telling me no more.
  • The neck disability index will have nothing to do with your filing a ssdi claim. Although it will go along with your records, you have to realize it is subjective. I am not sure if you realize this but there is a scoring to the test and actually it can be used against you. That test is available for neck's and lumbar issues. The test is purely subjective. I took one on my functional capacity exam and it was scored as if I failed it. Yes there is a pass or fail with it. Depends on who the grader is. I am sure you remember the test. If not you can look it up on line as well. The problem is with the test basically is what do you expect to be able to do and to what extent. The test actually works well when given in a physical therapy environment when you start and then taken again to measure how well you percieved therapy is helping. But like I say it is purely subjective as is pain. For example you may not like to read much and scored you can read as much as you would like, but I maybe a reader and can't read the way i once did cause can't hold my head long enough. Pain is also a subjective issue. What may be a 4 on the pain scale to you maybe a 8 to me. SSDI takes in pure medical facts.

Did you take that test before surgery as well? They need a baseline to see if the surgery even helped you at all. Many people have taken it just don't realize it was in the packet of information you originally filled out. I hope that helps a little.