Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leg Numbness after a Discectomy/Laminectomy

lilmamallilmama Posts: 61
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello, my name is Alison, I am 23 and I just had a discectomy/lamintectomy on L5, S1, and S2 on August 6th. I am wonderig if anyone has any stories or ecxperiences with leg numbness and tingling after the surgery. My surgeon said that the nerve was badly bruised and a bit damaged and to expect to have a little numbness and tingling. I just wonder how long it lasts? And if there are any of you that will share your recovery stories and experiences with me.
advertisement

Comments

• It is very common to experience numbness and pain after surgery. The nerves do take a beating. Just follow your doctor's orders and keep a journal of what hurts and what tingles etc. Then next time you see your doc you will be able to give him a better picture.

I have a spot on my outer thigh that has been numb since surgery in 2005. It has slowly gotten smaller over the years and I'm pretty certain it will eventually go away completely.

Welcome to Spine Health.

"C"
  • Hi, Alison

I am new here, just had my surgery Tuesday, and called my Dr. yesterday asking the same question. I have a one inch row of complete numbness on each leg that runs from hip clear into my toes! Kinda scary but he said that is completely normal. I hope you are feeling better....if you need anyone to talk through recovery with,feel free to PM me...don't know much but can absolutely sympathize!
  • I had fusion at L4-5 and several discectomies and other "clean up" on July 29. The reason I was in surgery to begin with was excrutiating pain in the right leg and foot and spondylolisthesis. Three days after surgery I noticed that my left front thigh was tingling and numb. Since then not only is it numb it has become painful to the touch. If I set something on my lap it hurts! My doctor said it is normal to experience new numbness after the nerves have been moved around so much. I think I am surprised by the extent of it. I am most worried about a pretty intense pain in the crease between my thigh and groin area. I am also wondering how long this will last and if I should contact my doctor.
  • how long the numbing will last. Everyone is so different and it takes time to heal so the thing that I found to help me is to write down the symptoms on a daily basis to keep track of what changes occur so when you go back for a follow-up with your doctor your diary will help you communicate the extent of the numbness and/or pain.
    You all are so fresh out of surgery that you need to give it time to recover. These nerves only grow about an inch a month once they are messed with so it will take time and unfortunately longer than you were told.
    julie
  • Swelling starts to ramp up a few days after surgery.
    Right before the surgeon closes the surgical site, he dumps in meds in to help with inflammation and swelling. This effect wears off eventually and it is noticeable.

After my L5-S1 microdiscectomy the inflamation was soooo bad. It really compressed my nerve. So bad that I was in bed for a 3-4 weeks. Finally, I got an ESI (epidural steroid injection) and it resolved all the inflamation, swelling and edema.

After my L4-L5, the leg numbness and tingling took about 6 months to go away and the nerves to remember how to be normal.

*every case is different.
    -----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • i had my first operation in 1996/7 and my leg pain went straight after the operation ...but i still had mild/moderate back ache...after about 4 years the leg pain returned and the back ache got worse ..so much so that if was interfering with sleeping and other daily aspects of living .anyway a few years later S1 went and i was in hospital having S1 bilateral discectomy and a redo of the L4/5 laminectomy {i also have L3/4 disc problems but they have not been operated on again yet}.since my last operation about 22 months ago i have been very ill and in terrible pain ..i have evil back ache and constant leg pain .i have been told that i have facet joint hypertrophy on many levels and after going through the pain clinic regime i am now just taking large amounts of Oxycontin for the pain as nothing else touches it .so as you can see you can never tell how long it takes to heal ..i would say that because you are having leg pain that you may take a long time to recover ..i hope i am wrong for your sake ..try a good TENS get yourself a comfy bed and don't over do things .
    STRAKER
  • Thank you all for your replies! It's good to hear that it's common to experience leg numbness and tingling. It's not painful, its just a feeling that I'm not used to. Sometimes it feels like a rubberband when I stand up. It's kind of a scary feeling. Other than that, the recovery is going well. Not too much pain as long as I stay on top of my pain meds.
  • I am one month post surgery for a C3-C5 Laminectomy and Fusion...am having tingling in legs and feet that started before surgery, I addition to right arm numbness...anyone out there with similar symptoms? Recovery time and reduction in symptoms?
  • mojo55mmojo55 Posts: 4
    edited 08/11/2014 - 11:54 AM
    I had severe sciatic pain about five years ago, had MRI and told I had bulging discs, had physio which was useless and had chiro which worked for me. Sadly it has now come back with a vengeance I cannot stand for more than about 10 seconds or walk for more than a minute without severe pain. I have tried chiro again but doesn't seem to be doing any good at all this time. I am terrified at the thought of surgery . Does anyone have any suggestions
  • NathanValleNNathanValle Posts: 1
    edited 02/25/2015 - 8:38 PM
    It has been six months now since I had surgery to relieve my pinched nerve at L5-S1, I still have a lot of numbness on my right side buttcheek, whole back of my thigh, side of my lower leg, and my heel going up to my last three toes, which makes me have to walk with a cane. I am only 27 and was wondering if any body has had any complications from the numbness.
    Valle09
  • TammyVTTammyV Posts: 1
    edited 11/22/2015 - 1:52 PM
    I had surgery on November 9th. Almost a year exactly since my first surgery which was the same. My waist and leg pain goes all the way down to my left foot. It is getting worse as the days goes by. Not better. It has gotten to where I almost can't even lift my left leg at all. The pain is almost unbearable. At this point numbness would be a blessing. Has anyone else experienced not being able to use their leg after surgery because of the intense shooting pain of slightly moving it?
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 4,630
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!

moderator, ~~savage

• Johnson12lilJJohnson12lil Posts: 2
    edited 12/17/2015 - 10:48 PM
    I had a microdiscectomy l5 s1 herniation that was removed 3 months ago. I was experiencing pain in my lower back, butt and leg on the right side. Pain was gone instantly after surgery. It has been 3 months now and I am experiencing those same pains, just on the left side now. Not nearly as severe as before. But I am beginning to get concerned.

Nick

For helpful information please click on link
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Liz -Spine-health Moderator
  • lilmama said:
    Hello, my name is Alison, I am 23 and I just had a discectomy/lamintectomy on L5, S1, and S2 on August 6th. I am wonderig if anyone has any stories or ecxperiences with leg numbness and tingling after the surgery. My surgeon said that the nerve was badly bruised and a bit damaged and to expect to have a little numbness and tingling. I just wonder how long it lasts? And if there are any of you that will share your recovery stories and experiences with me.
    I have just had 3rd operation for l5 s1 and l4 and the tingling and nuns should be gone , if its still there like mine , then nerve damage but after this last operation 2 days after I felt lot of pressure in back area and down the leg into my foot, now most of my bottom foot and toes are all mostly numb and tingling , If u are on wcb, etc u should be telling them all .
    I cant move without pain and discomfort since day one , ven when I have a good day , if I move to change direction etc and I do to sharply I get a swift jolt of pain , lol.
    But its not really normal if u had no tingling there before operation , and shows up afterwards. They have to bend , push the nerve out of the way to do the removal slicing off of the budging disc. I believe this causes damage .
  • 3xop33xop Posts: 3
    edited 12/21/2015 - 8:20 AM
    Johnson12lil said:
    I had a microdiscectomy l5 s1 herniation that was removed 3 months ago. I was experiencing pain in my lower back, butt and leg on the right side. Pain was gone instantly after surgery. It has been 3 months now and I am experiencing those same pains, just on the left side now. Not nearly as severe as before. But I am beginning to get concerned.
    Nick after my 2nd surgery I felt sharp pain , and deep pain in the left hip bone , was like I wanted to dig my hand to the bone and pull it out, and sharp shooting jolts all way to foot.
    And this was right after my 2nd surgery , so we did a MRI scan and was told it was the disc above it that was building a little bit, the L 4 s1 I think.
    Now after my 3rd surgery , which was this Friday that just went by, 2 days ago, My left buttock, left thigh , left ankle all feel a tightness , pulling , uncomfortable pain, as well my left bottom of foot went almost completely numb and tingling , started last night and has not gone away this morning . I am worried and have a doctors appointment this morning , to ask about it and send a message to my wcb case manager so she knows this too, Keep records of everything, and how you are effected by pain, etc. make notes , write in a notepad .

For helpful information please click on link
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Liz -Spine-health Moderator
  • mojo55 said:
    I had severe sciatic pain about five years ago, had MRI and told I had bulging discs, had physio which was useless and had chiro which worked for me. Sadly it has now come back with a vengeance I cannot stand for more than about 10 seconds or walk for more than a minute without severe pain. I have tried chiro again but doesn't seem to be doing any good at all this time. I am terrified at the thought of surgery . Does anyone have any suggestions
    mine was the same , I had the 1 hour surgery, and oh what relief , u can walk instantly after surgery , they keep u an hour or 2 , when u can go to bathroom on your own , they will let you go home. I had severe pain I had to go to emergency to get morphine shots, suicidal thought crossed my mind because of the pain: (. your sore for a few days but the bad pain was gone, no twisting, bending, lifting heavy etc. after surgery few months
  • lilmama said:
    Sissy D
  • SISSY62 said:
    lilmama said:
    Hello, my name is Alison, I am 23 and I just had a discectomy/lamintectomy on L5, S1, and S2 on August 6th. I am wonderig if anyone has any storiesor ecxperiences with leg numbness and tingling after the surgery. My surgeon said that the nerve was badly bruised and a bit damaged and to expect to have a little numbness and tingling. I just wonder how long it lasts? And if there are any of you that will share your recovery stories and experiences with me.
    Sissy D
  • Hi,
    I had an L5 discectomy yesterday morning to resolve right side leg pain and numbness from my bottom to my toes, post op the numbness is MUCH worse, particularly in my foot arch and my foot and ankle is swelling.  Is this normal?  My physio said it wasn't typical.
    I'm quite worried.
advertisement