Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My MRI....questions or anyone else???

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi again,

I had my MRI w/contast Monday July 27th (at my neuro's request for some stiffness, numbness etc) they wanted to make sure it didn't re-herniate. (l4-l5)

Well my appt with my neuro is not until Aug. 28th...that was the soonest they could get me in and they won't go over any results with you because they want you to be there with your films etc. I called them and said "what if it's urgent" they were like "if it's an urgent matter they will call" well I asked for a copy of the report to be sent to me (they couldnt' do that until 10 days from my MRI)well I got the report on Thurs.

(L4-L5)It says that in that area there is a 3mm bulge with mild alteration of the normal signal and mild enhancement within the disc. There is mild crowding of the right lateral recess, but the central canal and neural foramina are patent.

(L5-S1)Shows the previously noted (which they mention twice in another area on the form) ANTEROLISTHESIS. Disc extends into the inferior aspects of the neutal foramina. The central canal is widely patent. There is mild narrowing of the foramina.

I looked up ANTEROLISTHESIS, anyone with this or have this on their MRI report after surgery. They say something about it most often with a fracture but I didn't fracture anything (that I know of)

Also, I was in a car accident yesterday, and transported by ambulance. They asked about my back neck etc which were all hurting. They did a head CT, neck CT and lumbar films and when they came in to discuss the lumbar stuff they seemed more "concerned" or wanting me to go into detail about what the report said...it's like they were more concerned than my neuro...which I still have heard from and assuming I won't until my appt.

I don't want medical advice, just anyone have experience with something similar or can shed some light? Any help would be great!!! It really would have been nice to know from the neuro there it was bulging as I have two small boys and I would be a little more careful that I normally am...What can ya do....

Thanks in advance,

• It would be odd if you did not have anterolisthesis prior to your discectomy. Did your surgeon not mention it to you previously? Was your spine ever X-rayed or did you just have a MRI prior to surgery?

Did they X-ray your back yesterday after the accident, or was it a MRI?

Sorry for all the questions...but I could suggest a few more possibilities if I had a little more information.

In the meantime, do not worry. The 3mm bulge is nothing that requires immediate attention. The ER people probably were trying to figure out if the anterolisthesis was a result of the accident or if you had it before....again, nothing to be overly concerned about.

I look forward to hearing more about your situation.

xx Gwennie

• Thank you for your reply. Prior it was only MRI. They only did xrays yesterday after the accident. BUT on July 27th (the MRI most recent, that the neuro ordered to make sure it hadn't re-herniated) did show in that report but I don't remember it ever being mentioned around the time of the inital surgery or on that first MRI (that actually diagnosed the herniation)it's like they referring to "post surgical changes" like maybe it was fromt he surgery, or I was thinking maybe scar tissue but then the definition on the internet makes reference to a fracture which to me is odd it was never mentioned before until now. I haven't fallen or anything strange since the surgery. In fact, I've been pretty careful. I just want in for some numbness, stiffness etc to make sure (plus it has been a couple years)

Either way it looks like it was after the surgery and before the accident but how, and what do they do for it? Does it always require surgery??

Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.