Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SSI mental status evaluation

leocat46lleocat46 Posts: 125
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I was sent for my mental exam yesterday for SSI. boy , i did not know what to expect. some of the questions made me think, repeating numbers forwards and backwards as he repeated them. we talked about how i felt , of coarse i blurted out just like a bawling baby! i felt so terrible, hurting, upset. and i could not remember nothing hardly for the life of me! my memory was zilch. he asked me who the president of the united states was, do you think i could remember his name?? i was so stunned, i went blank, i looked at the doc like he was stupid or something. he even tried to help me, like said , tall , black, skinny guy? i felt so lost, i told hime i liked him, that i even voted for him. i told him mohommed. duh! :/ later i finally thought of the name. but the whole time i was in there, i just broke down, and could not get a hold of myself it seemed like. he was very nice. not remembering he said was part of my depression. i will not get into how i am really feeling, for that is for a different forum. but i just wanted everyone to know how it was for myself. he did tell me, he will be sending all this info to columbus, it will take about a week. then social securtiy about another 4 wks. to process, give or take a week. i figure i might here from them by the first of Oct. i guess this exam was the icing on the cake. i applied back in June 2nd. , so we will see. if anyone has any experiences with this same exam , let me know. thanks Leo

• I too had to go through the same thing you mentioned. I was surprised at how well I did remembering but remembering numbers has always been my strong point. I told the doc how I feel depressed cuz I hurt and I hurt cuz I'm depressed and said does that make since?? The guy was very very nice and looked at me and said he would be concerned if I wasn't depressed after everything that I've been through with my back and life. It was comforting hearing that from a medical professional. He said it is very common to be depressed when you are coping with chronic pain.