Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Almost 3 weeks after back surgery

slowpoke60sslowpoke60 Posts: 139
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Everyone,

Well, Thursday the 13th will be three weeks since my surgery on L5 S1.

My back is doing pretty good, pain wise, but last tuesday I began to have really bad leg pains in my right leg. This also gave me problems before surgery, but nothing like now. They sent me to the hopsital to make sure there was no blood clots, and it came back ok, thank goodness, so they sent me home with another steriod pack. Like the one that I came home from the hospital with. That ended yesterday in the am. for the last tablet.
I called them again today and told them that the pain wasn't any better, so they have sent me another kind of pain medicine. The doctor said that I had a nerve that was really pressed up against the bone and that it would just take time to heal.

I am walking as much as I can and only sitting for the 30 minutes allowed at a time.

Will be returning to the doctor for my 4 week check up on August 25, and will put on the board what he tells me then.
I don't know what restrictions he will give me then, right not I can't do anything but walk. No BLT. No housework or anything.
My Husband was able to stay home with me for the first 2 weeks, then he had to return to work this week, but it will be only for 3 days and my daughter is staying with me for that while he is gone.

• Sounds like you are following your surgeon's instructions. Did you have a fusion?
  • yes he fused them together. My back feels "heavy". Kinda funny feeling.

• I guess the heavy feeling is normal. That's exactly like I described it to my dr. I'm 9 weeks into this and still have that feeling. Sometimes think I feel the hardware in there. I've gotten stronger, but I'm a long way from being completely "there." Hope your recovery continues well.
  • all this "nerve" talk is making me more nervous. My doc said one of my pars defects appears to be very old and may have a lot of nerves in the overgrown cartilage that they will have to "work away" when they get in there. That is translating to pain in my mind. DEEP BREATH. and relax. I already have constant numbness and tingling in my left leg and foot.
  • Forneyfrau, Thanks for the kind words, My sister had back surgery several years ago and she said that she still has the "heavy" feeling in her back.

I guess we all have to just hang in there and get better.

Yes the "nerve" in my back that is effecting my right leg is not fun. hopefully, your's will not be very bad.

God bless.

• Hello,
    I am still new here and have got some really good advice from some really kind folks at SH, and I have read that alot of us seem to have alot of nerve pain after surgery and have had so many different treatment options by different doctors. It can be so over whelming.

I am 3 weeks post op from a laminectomy/discectomy at L5/S1, however my surgeon only worked on my right side as that was where I had all my sciatic pain and the side of the herniation. My doctor told me he only looked at the left side and it wasn't bad enough so he left it alone.

I am now experiencing the same awful sciatic pain on my left side, my right is wonderful, pain free, I couldn't be happier, but my left is numb, tingling and painful and Its so annoying because i feel like I just traded sides.

My PT said he won't work with me due to this *new pain because the surgeon did not touch that side so its not post op pain and he doesn't want to make it worse.

I am still on prednisone due to swelling near the incision site and the numbness on my left side. However the symptoms are appearing to get worse and not better.

My doctor has said there is nothing more to be done right now but continue to ice my back and rest, I am on pain meds, muscle relaxers and steroids.???? I have to give it a few more days and call them if it doesn't get better.

I go back to work on monday and this is not the quality of life I was anticipating at this point so I am disappointed, and unsure what is causing me so many problems on my left side if indeed the surgeon did not touch it??

Any advice and suggestions or similar experiences will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all,

• I hope you are starting to feel much better.

I did not mean to go on about my own problems on your post!! I apologise I just realized what I did. I guess I got carried away! I have never posted on forums before I joined SH a week ago!!

Forgive me!!

Hope things are getting better for you.

In a way we are all in this together.
    Take care,
  • thanks for the will wishes slopoke, and hotcoffee dont worry I think we are all here to support each other regardless of where we post.
    Everyone keep posting and praying for each other :)
  • I am no expert but was wondering if the surgery hasn't caused some swelling which is pressing on a nerve on the left side. With a bit of luck, in time the swelling will subside and hopefully ease the pain on that left side. Good luck.
  • hotcoffie29
    Don't worry about it, We are all here to help each other.