Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ALIF how long did the surgery take

immyaliimmyali Posts: 399
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,

Just curious, how long did the surgery take for a one level anterior lumbar fusion?

I'm guessing everyone's times were different, given the speed of the doctors, the difficulty of the individual operation etc.

But I was wondering what the average time was for this surgery.

• My surgery lasted 1 1/2 hours (two months ago). Before surgery I was too ignorant to know what a major surgery it was so my attitude was to not let it have any power over me. The morning after surgery the Physical Therapist came in to see if I could get up and walk. I hopped out of bed and we walked around the hall. His words were, "You're not going to be needing us". I came home pain free, and I still follow my OS's orders about not bending, lifting, or twisting. I rest if I feel that I need to, and the same goes for walking. If I wasn't already retired, I felt good enough to have returned to work in two weeks. This is my experience, and I know that others have stories that are not so encouraging. But, I believe that you deserve to know that not everyone has a terrible time with this surgery. Feel free to PM me if you like. I'll answer any questionis that I can. Good luck to you.

• That's really encouraging to hear, I thought the surgery was around 5 hours and i've had so many people say I won't be doing much for months and months. So it's nice to hear someone have such a positive experience following the surgery. I realise I may not be so lucky, but it is nice to hear some positives.
    Thanks you've made my day.
  • I had 2 levels worked on and 2 different procedures done. They expected almost 6 hours but I was in recovery in about 4.5 hours. I too have had great results and I am currently recovering nicely.

Keep in as good of shape prior to surgery and take your vitamins (D, Multi, fish oil, calcium). Of course, check with your doctor before taking anything.