Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

almost one year post op multi level lumbar fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in New Member Introductions
hello everyone!
I was wondering if anyone else is almost at one year post op or longer. I wanted to know if the pain i have at times is normal or not. I kind of wanted to hear from others that had the same or similar surgery.

• Yes, there are a number of people on the board who have had fusion at least one year ago. If you could provide more details as to where your surgery was located and what details you are interested in, people could respond better.
  • I had a laminectomy lumbar fusion multi level.
    l4 l5 s 1
    spondylolisthesis at L4-5; stenosis at L3-4 and L4-5 and Spondylolysis. Surgery was in september 2008.

I still have low back pain and left hip pain. My toes still tingle and get numb at times.

the only time i do not have pain is when i walk.
    I would like to know if the pain is normal. especially when i get up out of bed or off the couch. and when i am doing housework or yard work man does it hurt afterwards. I was just looking to see what everyone is feeling or was feeling at that one year mark.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. check out the "Back and Neck" Surgery forum. :? perhaps you will find some answers there. good luck and stop by anytime! :D Jenny :)
  • What is normal? I'm not sure anymore and I'm sure we all have days we wonder what normal is prior to fusion.

I'll be celebrating my one year fusion anniversary in about 10 weeks...I'm not counting down or anything!LOL! I still have aches and pains, some days better than others, depends what I do or don't do and learning to live with the post surgery me. No options, I had to have the surgery and I don't regret it. I would do it again of needed. I had a fusion at L-2/3/4 with hardware.

What kind of fusion did you have and what kind of pain are you still dealing with? I'm sure you will find many fellow fusion spineys on here that can help you.

• i am 22 months post op and still in sever pain ..so yes there are some people in the same boat!
  • it sounds like you have a lot to be thankfull for. to have such few problems sounds like a good outcome. and being able to walk with no pain....god bless. for me i haven't walked with no pain in 40 yrs. youre fortunate.
    the surgeon did tons of work ....enjoy life >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • I had 2 level lumbar fusion 1 year and 4 months ago. I am doing really well and I'm able to walk w/out a cane since surgery. My toes and part of my foot still go numb/painful several times a day but it is no longer as debilitating as it used to be! I already had permanent nerve damage before my fusion, all things considered I feel I'm doing pretty darn good.
    Faith M
  • I had a laminectomy lumbar fusion multi level. l4l5 s1
    i have a rod, cage and screws in my back. The pain that i still have is low back and left hip pain. I will be at the one year mark on Sept 12th. When I walk i feel great!!!! it's when i sit too long at work or when i am housecleaning or lifting some things over 10 pounds. Bending bothers me too. i try to go back to exercising but sit ups forget it. i am not over weight but do enjoy doing my exercises. and sometimes my back will hurt toward the middle of the incision. i take excedrin pm at night.
  • hi
    yes i am very thankful. The first 6 months or more were horrible. i wasn't sleeping the pain was so bad. but when i walk it feels great unless i had over done it before the walk then it doesn't feel so good.
    i waited 11 yrs before i decided to see a dr. i am almost 40 yrs old and the dr said no guarantees and that i should not have waited so long. But hopefully in time it will feel better. the aches sometimes though brings me to tears and no one that i know understands the pain we go through ya know.
  • a study of many people who had redos on their lumbar fusions and not one person could walk more than 5 blocks. when someone says they walk with no pain i say they are fortunate. i know yours wasnt a redo but at least youre not in that group of people who 's walk is curtailed by pain...