Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can't seem to quit.

MKBMMKB Posts: 29
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Stop Smoking
Hi all. I've been wanting/not wanting to quit. With smoking so expensive now, I can't even really afford it, so I'm even starting to choose between what I really need and cigarettes. I hate to say it,but cigarettes keep winning! I tried Chantix and had some success with it a while back,ran out of Chantix, a family tragedy occurred and I went back to smoking. I became very despondent over it. Tried Chantix again a few months later and it had absolutely no effect. Anyway, I know I need to quit, but I just keep smoking. If anybody on this board prays, please pray for me that I won't be controlled by this horrible addiction.I've lost many family members to illnesses directly related to smoking. I feel like an idiot for still lighting up after all that.

• When I say that I know how you feel, I mean it literally. My father died of lung cancer, two relatives who died of emphasema, & one from throat cancer. Yet, I continue to smoke. It's not a bad habit, it's an addiction. Don't beat yourself up so badly. I know that it's hard for others to understand, but they might be able to relate if it was compared to giving up their pain pills. Cigarettes provide comfort. It's just a different drug. There aren't many people on the board who smoke (or have admitted it). Please feel free to send me a Private Message if you want to talk about it.

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Oh how I feel your your frustration. I have tried to quit at least 10 times in the last month. I will succeed
    for 2 days then I seem to always start right back up.
    I have not tried the chantix yet because ins will not pay for it(expensive). All I can say is keep trying and hopefully we both will succeed.
    Good luck,
  • what you are talking about... I've been told I'm inoperable, so there is no rush to quit for surgery. However, I do need to see a cardiologist for a stress test, and my primary doc has told me I need to quit in case there is an issue with my heart. I am only 35, but I smoke, am overweight, and both my parents have had heart attacks under the age of 60. One was fatal, one was not.

I have a prescription for Chantix that I am going to fill (one of these days :)). But I have no desire to quit. It helps relax me when I'm in pain, and for some reason when I take my meds, it intensifies the urge to smoke.

Hang in there and just know you are not alone.

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm a long time smoker and both my parents died from lung cancer and emphysema. I know it's crazy, stupid and all that but still I do it. I agree also that I buy the cigs and do without other things. I'm trying the chantix now and so far after thirteen days I can't tell any difference. I do have an itchy rash since yesterday that is about to drive me crazy and think it may be the chantix. Don't give up trying to quit. Other people do it so I know we can. Hopefully.
    Good luck,
  • There are 6 or 7 of us who have posted about trying to quit smoking. Everybody seems to be using (or going to use) Chantix. We need to form a little club, or at the very least sign up as Buddies. Most people on the board don't relate to our issue. It would be nice if we could stay in touch and talk about our progress (and failures) to have a support system. What do you think?

• Not a bad idea, the club. One thing, however, after spending a lot of money on Chantix, and then it not working, I don't plan to use it again. I realize that in order to quit for good, all my crutches have to go. Having smoked for over 35 years, I have a lot of stuff to "unlearn." Quitting is something I absolutely have to do,like yesterday!
  • You don't have to be using Chantix. We can be a little club no matter what our method is. We all need support.

• I will admit to needing the support also.

I found an unopened box of Chantix in the pantry left from last year. I have it sitting on the counter to remind me to start on Saturday. (day after tomorrow)

I am going to try a reduced amount as I have a healthy respect for the side effects of this drug.
  • Erin,

A lower dose can work. We talked about this over a year ago. Find the old posts. I wrote one up about trying a different ramp up and down with the Chantix. Taking them 2x day caused me some serious "attitude" issues. Like I don't already have a chip on my shoulder ;-) I used an even shorter cycle this time and it worked. So I never went over 1x day.

Getting a group together or even 1 person helps. Use the buddy system. I did this with a few people on here. I'm not sure if everyone is still smoke free. I fell off the horse some months back after a year smoke free. Now I'm 4 months smoke free and plan to stay that way.

If you have ever stopped for any length of time. Then you can really appreciate not smoking. Not just the health benefits. There is so much more.

• It's tough anytime you decide to quit. But, I think that it's especially hard when you're in pain. You hesitate to send your body into another type of pain-the pain of withdrawal. In my case, I had surgery 2 months ago and I'm not back to my normal activities. I sit and watch TV most of the day. It would be different if I could go outside and garden, or work with my dogs. I'm already bored, and I'm not looking forward to being bored, and having cravings. Oh well. Enough excuses.