Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Will I qualify for SSDI???????????

svtrichssvtrich Posts: 19
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Hello everyone,Im new to this forum and I have found it to be a great source if info
About myself.Im a 45 year old male and have been a mechanic since I 17 and have been a heavy duty diesel mechanic for the last 25 years.Well after all the years of abuse of the body,all the cuts,broken fingers,pulled muscles and speending half of my life on my knees on the concrete.I was told by my doctor that I degenative arthritis of my hip,lower back,knees and sholder.Ive been off work since Nov.08 because of these problems.I spoke to my doctor about a permanent disabilty and he agreed 100%.I applied with SSDI back in May and I was denied AUG 7.I just got done filing the appeal.They said that there is some sort of work that I could do. :jawdrop: ?I told them that who is going to hire a person who cant stand or walk for more 10 minutes and only has one decent arm .The sad thing is,I dont need there benfits.I just need them to ok it because we have a disability program with my union but SSDI has to say that Im disabled. thanks Richard

• Wow! What a pickle you are in!

I am glad you appealed your claim. Hopefully a Judge will see your file and realize that there is really no other work you can do.

Unfortunately, SSA can't determine you are disabled because no one will hire you. They have to determine whether you can or cannot work. Period. I am curious as to what kind of work they said you could do? There are programs with the state that could train you for some other kind of work. Here in Louisiana it's called "Vocational Rehabilitation" or "Voc Rehab" for short. You should check this out in your area.

In my experience as a disability claims adjudicator, specifically those claims where WC or LTD were an issue, the claimants were always encouraged to apply for SSDI. That is because, if they are awarded SSDI, this meant WC or LTD insurance companies would not have to pay on the claim (you cannot draw both - that is considered "double dipping"). Maybe this is why your employer is encouraging you to do so? Each program is different, governed by their own rules/regulations, etc. Approval for one is not contingent on the other.

I do wish you much luck in your quest. Seriously - if you cannot stand or walk for long periods, and only have the use of one arm/hand - I can't imagine what types of work they think you can do. As I stated earlier - I am curious and would like to know what they told you (in your letter?). You are justified in filing your appeal. Have you hired a Social Security Disability Attorney? In my state, a judge will not even hear your claim without one and will postpone the hearing until you hire one.

If you have any question specific to your claim, shoot me a PM? I'll assist you as much as possible.
  • I filed an appeal this morning and I called my attorney and he said if they turn me down next time is when he'll take over.So I called my local SS office about this and asked them what kind of work can I do,there responce was,dont know =)) I told them if I can work,why dont you hire me.
  • When I worked at the Disability office, I had ALOT of people tell me the same thing. The first couple of times I was caught off guard. I really felt for my claimants and understood their anger and frustration... But it made me think... Why not hire these people if they can do the work? So, after that epiphany my response was: "Take a civil service test, and put in an application!"

The whole process is daunting to say the least. Good luck to you, Rich!