Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post op throat issues

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone. I'm 11 weeks post op after having c3 thru t1 anterior and posterior surgery. I am still having problems swallowing meat and other hard foods along with slight sore throat from time to time. Does anyone else have this problem so far out from surgery?

Thanks for listening.

• i know what you mean. i had c6 thru t2 fusion 6 years ago and 3 years ago started having same trouble as you. i never connected it to the neck so never mentioned it to surgeon. i said something to gp dr. but he didnt seem concerned. i will be interested in what your doc says.....pete
  • I am so glad to see your post because I am 10 weeks post op after having a C3-T4 posterior laminectomy with fusion and I am experiencing the same issues. I have been eating mostly softer foods but last night I had some beef and thought I would choke trying to swallow it! It was really stuck and hurt quite a bit to swallow even the smaller pieces I had to finally resort to. I go back to my surgeon in a couple weeks and it is on my list of things to ask him but I feel better knowing that I am not the only one with this.
  • After my surgery I experienced fierce indigestion and a difficulty in swallowing, especially meat. Mylanta was my friend for a while. It's much better now but still happens occasionally. I also get hiccups a lot, don't know if there's a connection though.

I am wondering if it's caused by the breathing tube?
  • They cut some nerves and move things around. When I had mine C's done, I could hardly swallow for 10 days, totally missable. 3 months later, I still had some issues. After a year, I can say it is better, but I still have some small swallowing issues. Your body has to get use to the adjustment and re-establishing some muscles. See what your dr says on followups, but it can take some time.
  • Hey Pete! If they fuse the cervical to the thoracic spine do you lose all ability to bend from the neck?
  • I was blown up in a IED in Afghanistan back in July. I had C5 - T2 fused. I was having the same problem as you, galliegirl. What I found to really help out with swallowing solid foods is 1, taking smaller bites and 2. always have something to drink to wash it down. I was having trouble with it getting stuck in my throat but when I would have something to drink it would make it a little easier to get it down. Hope I could help. Also if anyone could, since I'm new to this fusion, what life changes can I expect besides I was an Infantry Staff Sergeant in the US Army and I can't do my job anymore cause of this operation or what my doctors have told me like not being able to play football anymore, go skiing, or ride roller coasters anymore. What can we do that is actually fun without injuring ourselves worse?
  • I am sorry that I cant answer your question. I did however, want to thank you for your service to our country. And that I feel bad that during the service you sacrificed yourself to the point of a permanent injury. You seem to have a positive attitude, and that with any long term recovery is hard. Again my thanks and heartfelt respect to you and wishes of continued recovery. I hope that you may return to most of the activities you enjoyed.