Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain After Microdiscectomy

RboggsRRboggs Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi New at this 46 years old School bus Mechanic ,
a Microdiscectomy 12 of 2002 L4
a Microdiscectomy 12 of 2004 L5 S1
better for a year or so now the pain just keeps getting worse everyday down back of right leg to my toes, Dr. said nothing surgery would help. L5 is same as gone, bone to bone
Workers comp will not pay for an articifal dick, sent me to a pain clinic, will receive first ESI on 24th , has anyone hada ny luck with this shot?

• Has your doctor mentioned a spinal fusion?

Best regards.

• He Said " it will not help right now, My family dr. said i need surgery,I,m caught in the middle between Wroker Comp. & my Family Dr. The MRI says I have incrocahment in to spin & spurring ?
  • I had MRI With contrast 6 - 2009
    It says L5/S1 Disc desiccation with marginal endplate spurring, there is bilateral facet aethropathy with thickening of the ligamentun flavum.
    This causes central canal and bilateral foraminal encroachment.
    Impression : Degenerative dics disease at L5/S1 with centeral canal and bilateral foraminal encroachment.
    Can someone tell me what all this means Surgent said surgery would not help ??
  • Your report is similar to the way mine read, except mine was one level up at L4-5. The short version of what's wrong is that due to degenerative changes at the L5-S1 level, there is less room than there should be for the spinal nerves to pass through. The central spinal canal and the foramina on both sides are clogged up. About the only way to make more room for the nerve is to go in and scrape out the stuff that is clogging these areas.

Sometimes people respond to conservative treatments, but often surgery is necessary to make more room for the nerves.
  • you have entered a mind field of pain now .if you have already had surgery and now you have pain again ,yes you could have more surgery but the more you have the weaker your back becomes and the more pain you have .as for epidurals and other spinal injections its doubtful that you would get any relief from them {most don't} again i speak from experience.ADR is in its infancy and very risky i would avoid if i were you .my advice get your self on some stronger pain medication via your doctor .not some dude with a gold tooth and leather jacket on a street corner! and take life a little easier you could try a TENS too
  • thanks for the responce it helps to know I;m not alone
  • Go get another ortho/neuro/surgeon. If your primary is reading that MRI and telling you this. He isn't really qualified. If a surgeon told you this then get a 2nd opinion.

Workers Comp seems to be about the only group that actually does approve ADR. I'm with Straker though. I'm not sure I would go ADR over fusion, at least at L5/S1. You don't really loose range of motion at that level. If you are being told fusion at 2 levels. Well then you have something to think about. I am no fan of PM docs. Just getting pain killers fixes nothing. It will help with your pain while you get something done though.

This discussion has been closed.