Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

14 months after surgery

Christina69CChristina69 Posts: 534
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Okay, well, has anyone had this happen? I had the L5-S1 fusion in June of 08. I just had a ct-scan. It seems the right side fused but the left side hasnt. There's also movement in the screws. Im still in large amounts of pain and have been put on morphine twice a day and percocet for the breakthrough pain and I have ALOT of it. I also take muscle relaxers. Part of my problem with the meds is that Im having problems with my vitals going wayyyyy down on them. Anyone have any advice? Im so sick of pain and the doctors....noone understands cept you guys.

• I've not heard of anyone having fusing on one side and not the other at a particular level, but I suppose it does happen. It sounds like they didn't get the screws in very well if they've been moving. Do be very careful with the meds. I know it's tough to limit yourself because of the severity of pain. One of the biggest risks with opioids is that they slow down your breathing. It is possible to suffocate in your sleep if you have taken too many. I'm so sorry you're in so much pain. I hope they find a way to help you.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Have you talked to you dr. since the CT scan? What is his advice? I can't imagine them not feeling that something has to be done - that they aren't going in to fix it!

Movement in screws sounds like it needs fixing - if they are moving then it seems to make sense that it's preventing fusion there too.

I would be hollering and complaining and even going to the ER if I had to to be heard - have you thought of a second opinion? You should not have to live with this - just my humble non-medical opinion.

p.s. I worry about your vitals going down - my friend died this way.
  • You're still doing great on your part. I recommend a much natural treatment this time.

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Edited by moderator paulgla
  • He informed me that since one side was fused, it SHOULD hold even though there was no fusion on the other side. He also admitted that if there was no fusion by now, chances are great that there wont be. He says the continued pain could be the result of the nonfusion on one side or a result of the screws moving. He suggested that I get the area around the screws injected to see if it was them causing the pain. If my pain got better after the injection then he would assume it has something to do with the hardware and go in and remove it which would also give him reason to go poking around in there to see whats going on he says. My fear is this....If he removes the screws and rods, whats left to help hold my back in place. I mean, only one side is fused and im not impressed with the thought of something happening. Since I started the morphine from the pain clinic, they have already doubled the amount and its still not working. I also started having pain down into my left leg. Part of me wonders if this is my imagination...it feels like a constant aching going down my leg. When i try and straighten it or stretch it out I can feel it in my lower back. This is the same leg as the side the none fusion is on. I really dont want this surgery again. I found it soooo bad.