Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I've got the blues...

Faith MFFaith M Posts: 287
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Matters of the Heart
The clock of summer is ticking,it's alomst over. In a few days my daughter goes back to art school after being home all summer. My son will soon be starting his senior year of high school. And my 2 best friends will also be busy. One has aleady returned to her Principal job after being off 2 months,the other is returning to nursing school. My husband works nearby and he is gone 10 hours a day. That leaves me and my dog. I feel sad this time of year as I watch everyone move on with thier lives,and I'm still here. My biggest goal right now is to have at least a year without any surgeries. Now that is one boring full time job,as we all know. I do have my hobbies but they are tiring and cause more pain so I must limit my time. The days can be so long in an empty house. I've got the blues and I'm dreading summer's end.
Faith M

• Its so hard to see others out and about, and we are left at home. I try to change my way of thinking about that, it is now my "job" to take care of me. I schedule my day, get up by 6, have my coffee and breakfast, time to do my "job" that may include physical therapy, exercise, maybe go for a walk or swim(professional athletes do that as part of their job), have a nutritious lunch, etc. etc. I know this sounds a bit weird, but it works for me. If I make myself follow a schedule, my day goes by much faster. Are you able to get out at all? Volunteering has been so helpful to me, even if its only 1 or 2 hours a week. I also try to be mindful of my moments, not the past and not the future.

I also hope for a year without surgery, yikes I can't start thinking about that until next year, lol. Take care and best wishes to you,

• My full-time job- is to learn what helps me. When I am in a high pain cycle or get feeling blue, I realize that I am not looking after myself.

I stopped hobbies that hurt me and found others that satisfied me and were easier on me.

As it is now, I sometimes have too much time taken up
    by work and learning, but I would rather be in that position.

Faith - try taking this like a challenge to make changes for yourself that help you. I know we have not met, and I don't know if you have mobility, so please take my comments with a grain of salt. I was pretty discouraged last month when I had a facet joint lockup and inflame, but as time went on I felt better. I got to the point where I was able to get around again.

My goal is still to reduce the number of acute espisodes that I have each year.

I do Hope your feeling better - David

Edit - to fix spelling
  • Thank you for your replies. Fall is such a difficult time for me because everything changes. Other than my house being empty the gardening and boating season come to an end and we close up the camper up north. Last fall I tried some new activities, I looked at joining the garden club but it wasn't a good fit. I also started selling my jewelry in a craft mall, visiting weekly to tidy up. And looked into joining a health club w/pool but couldn't spend the $. This fall I can join because I was awarded SSD in June! In the past I've used the pool for water walking and really got in good shape. You've both definitely inspired me to look beyond my empty house.
    Faith M