Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

gethealthyggethealthy Posts: 303
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all! I had my 3 level ACDF July 27th. I still have the steri strips on my incision and wondered if anyone else had steri strips last this long. Mine are glued down hard. When I shower they actually pull on my skin cuz they shrink a bit I think. I realize each doctor uses different ways to deal with the incision. My doctor doesn't use stitches just steri strips and they're suppose to come off themselves.

I called the nurse and she said if they don't come off themselves in a week to call her again. She said I could start to "help" them off a bit.

• Did yours come off by themselves or did the doctor take them off?
  • Lynn,
    Mine came of within 7-10 days after my surgery. Guess your doctor must have used the glue on them....Just a guess. Hope all is going well.
  • May have used Dermabond on them, is there peeling glue-like film around them? Also may have used a Tincture of Benzoin spray on area before they were applied to make them stick more. When you shower, you should be able to start peeling them off. Three weeks is a long time for them to last.

How are you doing otherwise????

Best to you,

• I put some soap on them in the shower and they're starting to peel at the top. I'm sort of scared to see the incision. There's black across them and I'm hoping it's not blood. I read on one post that they mark your neck with black whatever to help them with the cut.

I'm doing great other than having a stiff neck. I called today to check on all of this and was told I could gently turn my head and told not to wear my soft collar other than in the car. That helped a lot.

I let myself sleep on my side last night so I sleep the best I have since the surgery. I was told I could sleep on my side but my head felt too heavy and weird so I was scared. The back of my head got so sore from the cervical pillow pressing on my neck it was not fun. I'm learning as I go.

I started to add some slow martial art stances to my daily exercise. I've just walked, done the arm exercises given to me and isometrics like butt squeezes and squeezing a hand ball so my arms kept some strength. I am taking it really slow. I'm excited for my August 31st check up. I'm hoping I'll get PT and be allowed to use light weights and light tension elastic bands to start getting back in shape.

I looked up the foods that help bones fuse and the ones to stay away from. Salt, sugar, alcohol, caffeine and red meat are not good for fusing. The red meat surprised me. No more red meat for me!
  • interesting. i had my procedure on the 13th and they are still holding strong. i also have a black streak. i think it is a glue like substance with some dried blood. don't know yet. i will let the strips just fall off. i am also still sleeping with the wedge pillow and soft collar. kind of nervous about letting it go and i only had a single level fusion. that is interesting about the foods. i will have to look this up.
  • I had my fusion on July 29th, I am fused C4-C7 with a corpectomy on C6.

I am still in the miami J collar, although my dr said i am healing fine. I have had no pain since 1 week and no pain meds since then either. When I went for my 2 week appt, my dr said to take the strips off. I did and the glue was the worse, it last for a week after I took the strips off.

I see my dr on the 28th, where I will graduate to a soft collar. I also have to wear a philadephia collar in the shower too.

I have no complaints, I have not had a single headache or arm pain since. I feel very lucky, but I honestly think it is due to wearing the collar 24 hours a day for 3 weeks so far. I also have a bone stimulator that I wear for 12 hours a day too. I am just hoping that on the 28th he sees fusion starting!!

My dr. said to increase dairy,and to eat healthy.
  • Just wanted to let you know that I have been thinking about you. I am glad your surgery is over & you sound to be doing very good. I hope all goes well & that you have a speedy, painless recovery..... keep a positive attitude!!!