Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fear of surgery any other options

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Lower Back Pain
My doctor wants me to have surgery and will not prescribe me meds. I like my doctor and trust him but don't understand why if the meds are working for me. He says addiction but somedays I only need a half pill of Vicodin 500mg other days I might need 4 1/2 pills.

My Diagnosis is:
Large L5-S1 paracentral disc herniation nerve root impingemnt @ S1, L S1 Radiculopathy and degenerative disc disease and facet disease at L4 and L5 S1, calcified disc fragment.

His treatment plan:
L4-S1 Fusion, removal of facet joints interbedy (spelling can't read fax) @ L5-S1 and L4 laminotomy for calcified disc fragment removal.

For the past 2 days I ve taken 1/2 vicodine each day.. my pain is a 2.. I am not doing much at all.. i am out of work.. could I go back to work.. not without being in pain..

Would you have the surgery?

• one person cant decide for another. one thing to consider is danger of permanent nerve damage. is that the reason for surgery. i cant see why you cant go on as is as long as permanent nerve damage not a factor. i dont blame you for not wanting surgery. i would get 2nd or 3rd opinion....pete
  • If your pain is from the radiculopathy, then it seems he should try putting you on Lyrica, or another nerve pain med. According to my ortho, Vicodin does not relieve nerve pain.

As for your doc's attitude about your situation, I would be frustrated too. He strikes me as trying to force you into surgery by withholding mediation which could relieve your pain. Further...if your pain level is averaging a 2, I'm surprised he would suggest surgery unless you're at some kind of risk without it.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking for a second opinion. Most doctors, including surgeons, will try all other options before suggesting surgery.

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • tolerance to pain my friend because nerve impingement is no fun .i could not take that type of pain i demanded to be operated on because i was in so much pain.so are you sure that you have a nerve problem? and you say that your pain is a 2 ..sorry things don't add up..if you do have surgery your leg pain {if you have any } should be reduced but your back will ache even more and you will more than likely require more surgery as the years go by .if you don't require pain meds now ..trust me post operation you will be howling for them. i wish you all the luck
  • Get a second opinion if you're considering surgery, which I personally would never consider for a pain level of 2/10. I hope to never have a fusion below age 60 and even then you'll have to take me kicking and screaming. Remember that narcotics are commonly associated with dependency (and even abuse), so some doctors may be cautious about prescribing longterm narcotics in some patients. I personally hated narcotics but they do take the pain edge off. I have had good luck with Lyrica for radicular pain/sciatica.
  • I got a question, I just recently had an epidural the pain is gone but my left foot is still numb can somebody give me insight on this?
  • Ask your doctor if an epidural steroid injection would work.If you have to and it make you feel better you can do like I did research the proceedure so maybe you won't be afraid.
This discussion has been closed.