Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie introduction

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone, I have made a few posts to this website and thought that I would introduce myself. My name is Patrice and I am a 38 y/o health professional. I am currently 1 week post c5/c6 acdf surgery. I have had neck "pain" for years but thought it was just muscular tension. It was not until June of this year that my symptoms worsened. I changed hospitals and would come home EVERYDAY after orientation sick at my stomach, my neck stiff and painful. I thought it was stress of a new job. I would take ibuprofen or tylenol arthritis everyday. I would have a few massages during this time. I almost broke down to see a chiropractor. Something told me to make an appt with a neurosurgeon. Finally, when my pinky finger and the palm of my hand started to tingle, my shoulder blade and collarbone was painful, I made an appt. I could not get in to see him for about 2 weeks. Had my mri in the meantime to be able to take it to my ns for the the first appt. I went to see him only to find out that my disc was herniated. Considering the length of time my symptoms were present, he felt that no conservative treatment (PT, steriods,etc) would help me. I could have chosen this route only to prolong what would be the only outcome. I was a working mother and needed to function. So, I scheduled the surgery for 2 weeks later. Oddly enough, my neck symptoms improved slightly and I began to doubt my decision. But, my lumber spine began to hurt. It felt like I was walking on pins everyday. My legs began to fall asleep when i would drive or sit for a period of time. I began to get frustrated at this point. No matter what, I felt surgery was the best option. So on 8/13, I had the procedure. I woke up from surgery with my husband telling me that my disc had actually ruptured and had to be removed in pieces. Besides the surgery pain, the pain in my back/legs/feet.....GONE! I could not believe the difference. I also could not believe that I had tolerated this pain for so long and just thought it was stress. I also trusted my doctor 100%. He was very well respected in my community and I knew he made the best decision for me. If anyone needs more info on my situation, symptoms, etc. please email me. This forum gave me so much info and encouragement prior to surgery. Thanks to all of you for your posts.


  • We have similiar stories. I've been an LPN for almost 30 years. I was told by my rheumatologist that my neck pain was fibromyalgia. This went on for 2 years, then I kept falling, my legs would wobble, difficulty walking, numbness hands, pain in the right arm so unable to do my nursing notes, etc. etc. My nurse manager advised I take some time off. I went to my rheumatologist's PA and finally a cervical MRI was ordered. My neck was a mess. After my fusion, all those symptoms disappeared. I did have a rough time with my left arm afterwards, NS said my compressed nerves woke up lol, but that went away after 3 months. Now, after 20 months, I do need to be careful not to overdo certain things or I'll have a flare up of pain, but it was the best decision I made.

    Welcome to SH! Join us in the chat room sometime. Lots of nurses here, we work hard!

    Best to you,

  • Thanks for the encouragement! I have also enjoyed reading everyone's experiences. I also feel for many people on this board. I consider my situation easily fixable and with time 99.9% successful. I could not imagine living day to day with some of your stories. But I truly feel like early intervention was my key to success. But, I almost postponed everything because my symptoms were easing up. I obviously have a high pain tolerance or just compensated well. But, I have to work and did not want to go through this misery while taking care of sick patients. They needed me to be a close to 100% as possible, physically and mentally. Thanks to all of you who share your stories and experiences. There is someone out there that reads and relates to them.
  • Hello, I'm new to this site..After yrs of lower back pain I figured I could just live with it..But since 2005 when I was rear-ended by a semi-tractor which left me with upper back and neck problems. I have been told my options r Spinal cord stimulator for lower back and epidural steroid injections for the upper back. Is there anyone out there with the same conditions. Anyone out there with a scs unit? Could really use some help..
  • Patrice, I am so happy for you! Keep looking after yourself and healing!

Sign In or Register to comment.