Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

HELP! Understanding life with back and neck problems.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
In 2004, after a person ran into the back of my car. I have suffered from neck and lower back problems. I had minimal dicsecotomy in 2006. I might add that I also am a kidney donor. The surgery helped but after a year or two the pain has returned. I have been diagnosed with a slipped vertabrae in my neck and no new problems in my lower back, but the pain goes from my lower back and into my thigh and makes it sometimes painful to walk on my right foot. I have been told that I shouldn't have surgery on my neck, but pain medications don't help and the ones that do help leave me unable to drive. Then I had a fall at a store, that I have patrionized for years; a shadow from a car[ in high noon sun] cast over the sidewalk didn't allow me to see a crack in the concrete, which had a piece of rebar[ about a quarter of an inch] sticking up; grabbed my shoe and twisted me around. The insurance company[ Travelers'] states that they owe me nothing because I all ready had chronic back and neck problem. My two questions are; if you don't have surgery and cannot function on the meds, then what do you do? Is the store's insurance company not liable for the accident; especially when I have a clerk stating that the owners knew of the problem.

• I don't really know for sure about your fall at the store. If I were you, I would call a lawyer and see if he/she would give you a free consultation and tell them the whole situation. They can tell you if you have a case or not. Some will take the case for free but will take part of your settlement. I guess it depends on whether their insurance covers accidents inside the store and outside. To me, it does sound like a case, but I have no experience with this kind of thing at all.

I am having my second neck surgery this coming Monday for a newly herniated disc at the level above the ACDF fusion that I had on 06/15 this year. What is the reason that they don't recommend you to have surgery on your neck???

On your lumbar problems, how did they diagnose you? Maybe you need further tests to show more about what is going on. Continuing pain can usually be pinpointed with a myelogram, discogram, CT scan tests. You could have scar tissue or bone spurs now.

I hope you find some answers. We are all here to support you and give opinions, but you should find a lawyer to ask about the accident.

• You've come to a very supportive website. We'll try to help you by sharing our experiences.

I completely agree with the above post. Have you seen someone for a second opinion on your neck? I don't understand why they advised no operation. What vertebrae has slipped in your neck and is this where they did the microdiscectomy? Neck trouble can cause all sorts of problems, including problems with your legs and falling. Sounds like you need an EMG to find out what is going on with the pain into your thigh.

Best wishes to you,

• One question you have to ask (yourself and the insurance company):

What new pain do you have since the fall?

Would you have had a better chance of healing from the first injury if you hadn''t re-injured yourself?

Get a lawyer.

It's the insurance company's job to make you feel that your case is hopeless. It's how they keep their stats good and keep you from getting any compensation.

Oh, and I HIGHLY recommend further testing- the discogram etc. You have to know what's going on inside you.