Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here

51LKB551LKB Posts: 17
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am a new member and have been for MRI cervical neck area and was given some very frightening news and a referral to a spine surgeon for surgery. Breifly I have the following:
C3-4 Broad based disc bulging perterior and small uncovertabral joint oseophytes. canal diameter is 7 mm.
c4-5 broad based central disc bulging right and left uncovertaebral joint oseophytes. Cord mildly compressed; canal diameter reduced to 6 mm. moder left and severe right roraminal stenosis.
c5-6 diffuse annular disc bulging and uncovertebral joint osteophytes. Moderate to severe spinal stenosis. Canal diameter is 4 mm. Severe bilateral foraminal stenosis.
c6-7 diffuse disc bulging and uncovertebral joint osteophytes. Focal right paracentraldisc protrusion partly calcified-extends back 3 mm to contact the spinal cord. Canal diameter is 6.5 Severe right and moderate to severe left foraminal stenosis.
I am frightened about all I have read about anterior and posterior surgery, but also afraid of what I was told about the risk of doing nothing. My neurologist referred me to spine surgeon because surgery is needed no PT or drugs right now. Appointment is on Tuesday. I will be looking carefully through this site, but if anyone has any advice, i would appreciate it!

• Welcome to Spine-Health.

I went through the same thing you did, although I did try PT for about 6 weeks. After that, I had to go to the surgeon who said that it wasn't a matter of if I had surgery, but when. So there it was.

I know it's a very scary thing to go through but with the right surgeon you'll get through it. The important thing is to be your own advocate and research everything you find out. Whatever surgery you're surgeon says he/she's going to do, come back to Spine-Health and find the information regarding that surgery. There are also people here, like myself, that will be able to share their experience with you and give you support.

What symptoms have you been experiencing? Is the surgeon you're going to see a fellowship-trained spine surgeon?

Take care and feel free to PM me any time.
  • I appreciate your response. I forgot to mention my symptoms. I have numbness, tingling, burning in my right arm, shoulder, goes down to my hand and fingers. Have weakness in my hand and arm to the point where holding something, opening doors or writing are not possible some times. I have a hard time getting dressed because of this. Also have been tripping and falling a lot. My foot has been numb and my legs are kind of weak. I have the incontinence thing too, which i didn't realize could be related to this...The doctors I've seen so far have said surgery, no PT or injections. And that any small trauma could result in irreversable damage; and paralysis.
    The recovery from surgery scares me as much as the actual procedure!!
  • With your mentioned symptoms, it sounds like surgery will be scheduled. Incontinence is a significant symptom. I too was falling, unable to use hand and difficulty writing. Very painful to bend my head to read, etc.

I did very well after cervical fusion. I did have a bout of pain on the opposite side, shoulder to hand, for a while, but after a couple of months I was good. Sometimes I forget I even had it done.

Best wishes to you!

• As they (just who are "they?" :D ) say, knowledge is power. The more you can research and understand what your problems are, and what your choices are, the less you will be afraid of surgery. Of course surgery is frightening, what ever type. Once you see the surgeon, (neuro-surgeon?)you will know what he recommends. If you aren't comfortable with the dr or his diagnosis, get a second opinion. You are your best advocate. Your recovery of course will depend on how many levels are operated on, which approach is used, and your health in general. Please return and update us on what the surgeon recommends. Up at the top of the page there is a list of conditions, videos of surgerys, all kinds of information.

Good luck, and God Bless