Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

numb around incision

gethealthyggethealthy Posts: 303
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I wondered if anyone else had numbness and tightness around their incision and if so how long does it take for that feeling to go away. I told the nurse and she said that's common.

I thought the tightness was from my ster strips but I'm slowly taking them off per nurse's instruction and the tightness is still there. When I swallow the right side of my neck around the incision feels weird. The back of my head feels weird too.

• Hello Lynn,

I had C3-6 done Dec. 9, 2008 with plate and cage, lots of bone spurs also. I have a long 4" scar and my neck area was also numb but the feeling came back in a few months. I now have a bulge at C7 with lot of pain, tried PT, shots and epidural with no luck, I go see a new NS Sept 10th.
    Good luck, it will get better.
  • Hello Lynn,
    The numbness will go away over time, we all heal at different rates. The swallowing issue is the same, I am still at times having some problems swallowing. My last acdf was March 08, it is better but not 100 per cent and I am not sure it will ever be. Just hang in there, things do get better.
  • It seems that one surgery leads to another. But I see that I just skipped a surgery. I was suppose to have one years ago for one level and it spread to 3 so I guess there's no escaping it.