Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Walking with or without neck brace

gethealthyggethealthy Posts: 303
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am HURTING today! I usually walk with my soft brace on but was told that wearing my brace was making me stiff by my nurse so I walked 2 days without it. I walk 2 times a day for 30 minutes each. I was a little sore yesterday but woke up today to a protesting neck!

Any tips on how to wean off the soft collar would be greatly appreciated. I am wearing my soft brace all day today! UUUUGGGG

I also am allowing myself to sleep on my side per the doctors okay to sleep on my back or my side. I sleep so well on my side but I do toss and turn when I sleep. I tried to turn my body first and then bring my head but I think I tweaked it during one of my turns. BAD DAY FOR ME.

• My surgery was in Feb 09.
    Before my surgery i found sleeping with soft collar on really helped with being woke up during night with numbness tingling pain.
    After my surgery i still wear at times during night.
    Once in a while during the day when I feel my head is just to heavy for my neck I will put it on and it helps.
    If I'm going for a longer car ride I will have it with me in case it gets to be to much on my neck.
    This is just some of the things I do that helps me.
    I have not thought about weening myself off my collar,I use it when I feel I need too.
    My doctors know when and why i use it and none have ever said i need to stop..
    Everyone is different and so are doc's..so go figure
    Good Luck to You and your recovery
    hugs to all....Patsy

• I would use it if you need it and then take it off if it bugs you. My doctor said I didn't need one. I had two levels done. I guess some docs believe in them and some don't.
  • I had my surgery June 9th. My doctors don't care when I wear it. Its only a soft collar I wear when I start to hurt. If I feel any numbness I put it on also. When I drive its with me in case my neck gets tired. I have a desk job at work and I wear it 1 hour on and then 1 hour off and rotate until my shift is done. Sleeping with it makes me wake up less.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • Thanks for the tips. I feel better about wearing mine when I walk. I walk a long distance so it's just too much for my neck for sure. My range of motion is so tight right now I do get concerned but I see the surgeon August 31st and am going to ask for PT. My range of motion was bad before the surgery too. It locked up about 2 months before surgery and wouldn't let go. I hope I can get some help for this.