Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Pain in Right Leg

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
I have dealt with Chronic Back Pain since 2000. I had a Lumbar Laminectomy done in 2005 and a L4/L5 Spinal Fusion done in December of 2007. We really thought that this last surgery worked until February of 2008 when the back pain and left-leg pain returned with a vengeance. This pain has gotten progressively worse. I am taking 450mg of Lyrica a day and 6 Lortabs a day. Now, I have an appointment on Thursday of this week with my doctor, who has taken over my pain management. I was at a pain management clinic until June of 2008, but they decided to forgo all other treatments other than medication. I just did not see the need of driving 45 miles bi-monthly and forking out $140.00 just to get a scrip!

Anyway, I have started having pain in my right leg; it started about a week ago. It’s very similar to the constant pain that I have in my left leg but it seems to be more severe; although it’s not constant at all. It shows up 2 or 3 times a day and lasts about 30 minutes and the pain is only from my knee down to the bottom of my ankle. Just curious to see others thoughts on this. I’ve never had pain in my right leg before. I hope and pray that it’s not signaling another messed up disk.

• Have you had a MRI done recently? If not, it may be time. It is possible that scar tissue is responsible for the onset of your pain after fusion surgery. Often when you feel better after surgery and are relatively pain-free, and then six weeks+ later there is a return of pain, it can be caused by the development of "epidural fibrosis." This is a collagen fiber that grows inside after surgery. If it grows randomly, it can push against a nerve, causing the pain from nerve compression, or it can even grow into the nerve, entangling it.

Regarding the new pain, the MRI will indicate if you have any new issues that could be causing it.

I mostly have pain in my right leg, but, periodically, things flare up in my left leg. My doctors mostly ignore it (or me) when I inquire about it!

Good luck in tracking it down.
  • Thank you and I wish I could get an MRI. I have been out of work since this last surgery and have no insurance. The Scar Tissue thing makes since. If Scar Tissue does randomly grow, then it would explain the progressive increase in pain that I have been experiencing.... I think?? LOL