Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I had surgery on my L5 S1 last year and want to have a baby.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
Hi I am 21 and August 8, 2008, I went in for back surgery on my L5 S1. My disk was herniated pretty bad causing alot if pain and discomfort and it was pinching a nerve that caused really bad sciatica down my left leg. I believe the problem happend while delivering my 8 lb son on 03.26.07. I never had any back pain until after I delivered. I recieved an epideral and could not feel anything the whole delivery. I believe I caused too much strain on my back and caused it to herniate. Anyways, Since the surgery Life has been great, I have absolutely NO back pain or sciatica. Its been a dream come true being relieved of all that pain. But now my son is alittle over two years old and I would love to have another baby. I'm terrified that i'll either re-herniate carrying full term or while delivering vaginally. I heard it'll be better to have a c-section to avoid the strain and not to get a epideral again. Can anyone who can relate help me on what their experience was.

Thank you,

• i assume that you did not have an operation on your back? all i can say is ,inform your doctor and midwife of your previous medical history regarding your back problems ,a vaginal birth may still be possible if that's what you wish .only the medical team involved with your care whilst you are pregnant will be able to make that call ,,,,,
    strakers wife {registered health visitor and ex midwife UK}
  • I had to have c-section with both....
    One 2 mth preemie and one 1 mth early.
    Let ur obgyn and back dr discuss the options and plans together. They shouldn't have a problem getting together to do this for u.
    And I had major surgery at 14 and gave birth at 20 and 22.
    But was young and a little tougher back then, too.
    good luck
  • I have a 3 year old and had a csection with him. My pregnancy went fine. I was on bedrest but for pre eclampsia. I have had a 3 level fusion in my lumbar region. Good luck. Your docs can get together and work on a plan of care for you. The only issue I had was after I had my son I had a tremendous increase in back pain but I don't know if it was related to the preganancy. I just have a really bad back. Let me know if you have any questions.
  • I had surgery in the same place October 22, 2008 and after talking with my surgeon in December he said I'd be fine to have another baby. Unfortunately I didn't think about the labour part of things until after we got pregnant.

So far the pregnancy is going great. I've had some mild back pain but it's been all muscular. None of my prior problems have come returned.

I'm due December 23 and I've started to think about labour. I'm currently doing some online research to find out if there are some positions that are better for delivery. I'm also going to bring it up with my Dr at the next appointment in a couple of weeks.

I'll try to keep you updated!