Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Justin66JJustin66 Posts: 95
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everybody my name is Justin and I wanted introduce myself and my less than optimal back. I am hot rodder and motorcyle enthusiast, I also have played guitar for around 19 years. Being in the garage building and welding is my life.

I stumbled onto this forum by accident and its nice to actually talk and read about people that are haveing or have had the same issues as me. Its really unfortunate I use the word nice because back pain is far from nice.

I guess I could give you a little of my history. I had never had any back problems whatsoever untill a few months ago which after several Dr. visits and an MRI resulted in showing my L4-L5 disk being blowed out on the left side.

My disk problem occured as I was picking up something heavy and twisting while I was lifting and wham it was like someone shoved a knife into my lower back. Within a week the pain had reduced but not went away. I was able to walk fine with no sciatica problems untill later on which eventually got worse and worse causing tingling, weakness, spasms in mostly the left leg but at the end the right also. Sometimes the pain would switch from the left side to the right in my lower back and when it did the sciatica problems I had in my left leg would just dissapear.

Fast forward to the 18th of this month I went in for surgery and had the blowed out portion of the disc removed. The first few days were a little hard to get up and down but I could walk pretty good. The weird thing was or is the pain I had going into surgery is different than what I have now. The only pain I have in my back is from where the incision was made. My left leg has pulled feeling that goes from my butt to my calf but it seems like that it has gotten better in this leg and mostly feels like the pain is going from the back of my leg to my knee. My right leg is good all but around my ankle and calf feels a little weak.

I should say that I have almost no tingling at all going on now which right after surgery I did.

As of right now im 10 days after surgery. I sometimes get depressed that I could experience this pain the rest of my life but im trying to stay positive. I know I shouldn't expect much 10 days out.

I had an inguinal (i think thats how you spell it) hernia surgery three years ago and didn't feel totally normal up untill a year after the surgery and that didn't really involve any nerves.

Right now all im supposed to do is walk for exercise three times a day and hope for the best. This has been the most depressing time of my life but like I said I try to stay positive and hopefully will meet some good friends here.

• welcome to spine health...you are among a group of people who have one thing in common and that is pain. it sounds like your surgery was a success and you can look forward to good years ahead. i know it has been a battle and you have reason to be a bit down. but soon you will move again and that old energy will flow and the worries will be left behind. so join us now and share your thoughts for we are an understanding group. we are here to help.......pete
  • Hi and welcome to the site. You will find many knowledgable and caring people here.
    You are only 10 days post op, give your body time to heal, it takes awhile. It sounds like you are doing great, just try to be patient with the healing process (I know, its not always easy).
    Keep coming back to this site, you will find it very helpful.
  • Thanks Pete and Lisa I figured there would be truely honest people here that can share their experience and guidance. You know sometimes its hard for some people too understand your problems especially since the pain you have does not show on the outside. That is unless your in a terrible mood because of the pain.

I can easily see how people get addicted to medication. I was taking Loratabs every once in a while no joke like two or three days a week just when I felt the worst and they helped somewhat. Really they made my whole body tingle instead of just my legs so I guess the sciatica problems weren't as noticeable (HA). I was only taking one at a time now I can take two and it doesn't do anything. I may as well be eating M&M's. I didn't take them for very long either. This was like within a couple of months time.

I don't really know why I felt the need to tell my meds story but I did.

Anyway thanks.

• Justin, you can tell us whatever you want to, no need to apologize.
    You are absolutely right about the problem many of us have: the pain is on the inside and most don't see it. If anyone took the time to look into the eyes of a chronic pain sufferer they would see it. Many times I have wished to have a t-shirt that says: "No, I'm not lazy or a prima-donna, I have back problems!"
  • I know exactly what your saying.
  • You've come to a great site for support and sharing. Join us in the chat room sometime. We try to be supportive there as well as have a few laughs. Humor is good medicine and very distracting. If you come in and are struggling with being in a "chat" atmosphere, click on one of our names and send a private message that you need help.

Best wishes to you,

• there are many people here that can answer your questions and i have found this site to be the best for advice and information and the variety of topics covered are second to none
    enjoy your membership
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. walking is so good for you.. =D> i am with you in that!! ;) good luck in your search for pain relief! :D Jenny :)
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832

I am glad you found spine-health, it is a great site for support and laughter. I am glad to see you are staying positive, wishing you a good recovery. It is early days yet, you sound like you are doing fine so far.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I am sorry to hear that you have joined our group because of your pain. Hopefully you will get a little better each day and your pain will not become chronic. Please do keep us posted on your progress.
  • Glad you accidently found this site, everyone here is great, if you hang around you will find out for yourself. If you have questions post them and someone might be able to elp, just remember we are not Dr.s we are just giving you our own personal accounts. We are here for you so feel free to call on ant one of us. Hope you continue to heal, 10 days out is good but you still have a way to go, and we are glad you have chosen to let us be part of your recovery.Keep us poste so we can stay in touch with your progress. Good Luck
  • Welcome Justin :)))

Hope you continue to heal well. 10 days isn't very long, but you sound like a very active motor enthusiast and dying to get back on your bike and hotrod !! Just take things steadily until your surgeon gives you the go ahead to do more.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008