Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hello again...long update...

hopeless-in-mnhhopeless-in-mn Posts: 206
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Chronic Pain
hey there all! I have been reading the posts, and have popped into chat a couple of times, but have been in way too much pain the past few months to really spend much time there.

Alot has happened with me in the past few months, but I still hover with no new diagnosis or clue as to why I have these symptoms, or what my outcome will be. But at least now I have a neurologist who is willing to stick with me untill we find the problem.

Current symptoms: low back pain, neck pain, leg, arm, and hand tremors; fatigue, inability to sleep, decrease in bladder/bowel sensations (don't know until the last moment)
bi-lateral leg weakness/numbness (worse on right-w/foot drop)

emg: shows positive for numbness but not for footdrop and gait inbalance
mri of neck and thoracic: show DDD and lack af curve in neck, but no cord or nerve compression throughout; no lesions
mri of brain: no MS, tumor, or stroke
bloodwork: all normal--vitamin b was at low normal...added multi vitamin 2 weeks ago, no improvement.

I am at a loss.
I go to physical therapy-for what?
I take all these pills---why?
all I want is to be able to take care of my family, and be able to someday hopefully go back to work again...
....is that to much to ask for?

• boy so many symptoms and no answers. obviously something is wrong because of your symptoms. my suggestion is to see a spinal surgeon. the neurologist may be missing something....ive never had good experiences with neurologists and i have seen many....just my opinion....best of luck...pete
  • My goodness....All those problems and yet no answer!!
    I do understand!!
    I had a ruptured disc several years ago and was in agony. All my pain was down my left leg....I was on crutches!! It took Doctors months to finally figure out what my problem was. MONTHS!! Everyday the pain was getting worse and all they did was give me pills ans tell me to come back in two weeks!!
    I knew pills were not going to halp my problem and they did not.
    All I needed was an exray on my lower spine to see what the problem was but not one Doctor thought to order it until I was sent to a Doctor to check my circulation!!
    I endured months of agony because of a ruptured disc!!
    Best of luck to you. Do not give up hope. I prey you get answers soon. I understand your flusteration.
    Patsy W
  • we have not met so i wanted to say hi .i am sorry that i can't even answer any of your questions .but maybe can offer some advice that may help with your pain.have you heard about the acticare device?
    have a look at the web site www.acticare.com sometimes they advertise on spine health {if you live outside the uk acticare will extend the trail period so if you find that its no use to you ..you can still get your money back
  • i have a tens, and it no longer works for the low back, and i am not flexible enough to place the pads for my neck/shoulders myself.
    --i have seen 3 different spinal surgeons over the years...first did the first surgery, then i moved, and re-injured my low back. 2nd surgeon did the next 2 surgeries, and now will not answer any of my questions...will only say there is nothing more he can do for me. i have severe multilevel herniations, and DDD, and with all the prior surgery, no one will go in there again; not even for scs.

I have had multiple ESI's with no relief. RFNA with partial relief. pool therapy, chronic pain counceling, many-many rounds of physical therapy...i used to use a cane to help me walk; I now use a walker. There is starting conversations at pt office on recommending a power chair in not to distant future for me...
  • Hi Dawn!!

I was wondering how you were doing! I was hoping that you were doing better and busy with "real" life. I am so sorry that you have not been doing well. I wish that I had caught you in chat. I am glad that you have found a devoted neurologist, and I hope that you find the source of all of this. It can be sooo frustrating. Hang in there!!! I look forward to chatting with you !!

• Hiya Dawn, like jean jaye I was wondering how you were doing too. Sorry it's been rough for you lately!!!

So my brain & cervical MRI showed no lesions either but they were done without contrast. I found out just recently that contrast is needed. My docs are all saying they believe that I have MS. I start testing next week and fully anticipate having another MRI with contrast this time.

I know how frustrating it is without a diagnosis, I certainly hope you can find the cause of your pain!
    Spiney hugs >:D< >:D<
  • rise and recline recline? if so i can recommend one i have just bought myself one and its the best item of comfort that i own ,i am on it now .we have the same type of bed to .they are a great help for the immobile .by the way the acticare is not just a TENS its an external spinal cord stimulator ..well worth a shot as acticare with take it back and give you a total refund .i am sorry that i have no pearls of wisdom but i go wish you well and hope that your pain subsides ,i have a good relationship with acticare {not a paying agreement!} and i suggested to them that they were missing out on a big marker USA and north America but at that time there was a 30 day trail period they have agreed to extend this to accommodate my spinney friends just mention that you are a spine health member and that you know me {real name tony beer}
  • Boy, in so many ways you sound just like I did for almost 2 years!! I also had gait problems, pain, MRI's with no answer, saw a Neurologist, Neurosurgeon, did 1 year of PT, just kept getting worse, then saw another Neurosurgeon, had a EMG, showed damage at L5 S1, but nothing that would be causing my horrible pain. The first group of Dr's, and a PM Dr., after he did my ESI's that did nothing concluded I need severe help, as it was all in my head. The Neurosurgeon I saw for a second opinion, said that something was wrong, as I could not walk on my heels, tippy toes, sit, lay down, walk, etc., as I am sure you can relate, and said, well, I am going to open you up and take a look! So, with nothing to lose we did it, in Jan. of this year, and I have my life back. A piece of bone was on the S1 nerve root. Recovery has been slow, but I walk, do housework, sleep well, and sitting is still not great, but getting better! I kept telling all the Dr's I had seen before, that I had been injured in the back area on 12-07, but no one listened, except this one Dr. Keep looking for the right Dr.,and good luck! I will keep you in thoughts and prayers! sweetpotatoe57
  • Deleted.. Sorry wrong thread!
This discussion has been closed.