Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

what do you do when the pain is almost too much to handle??

Amanda S YanisAAmanda S Yanis Posts: 124
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:35 AM in Lower Back Pain
Because that is where I am. My left side is on fire from my waist to my foot. The spasms are awful, I was in tears for 30 minutes last night from them. This is the second day in a row that I don't want to get out of bed because of the pain.

I just saw a neuro on Wed. and I see my family doc on Monday, but I know she won't be able to do anything to help. She's already put me on 7.5/500 Lortabs and that is the most pain meds she says she is allowed to prescribe. It seems silly to go to the ER though because it's not an emergency, and what can they really do??
advertisement

Comments

• Have you tried taking a warm soothing bath or shower? I know it sounds lame or silly, but sometimes I can get a chance to break the pain cycle by doing that. One thing that the ER can do if it gets down to that, is to help you break the pain cycle and allow your meds to get back to controlling it. Of course if your meds are not enough, then you need to explore getting help from someone else.

Have you been referred to a neurologist yet? Sometimes they can help and will try different meds to control the nerve generated pain.

Wish I could give you the magic answer.

"C"
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,045
    I know that warm moist heat always seems to make me feel a little better, even if it just for a while.
    We purchased a Hot tub 2 years ago and I use it almost daily. The warm water plus jets makes it real good to relax me.

As for as going to the ER. Most of the time, thats when I tell members where their pain levels hit 8 and above to go. Problem is that pain levels and the scale is so subjective. One persons 2 could be another's 8!
    But if you get to the point where you feel that you can not function normally, you need people to help you around, then go to the ER.
    In other situations, they may check you out, perhaps call your doctor for a consult, but they may not be able to do anything for you.
    If I was you, I would call your doctor. Even if he/she is not in, all doctors have a "On Call" doctor that will return your message.

Good luck, hope things turn better for you
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • And if heat doesn't help maybe try icepack. It can help too.
    Goodluck and hope you find relief soon!

• with lavendar, turn off the lights and light some armotherapy candles, and turn on some soft, relaxing music. Stress and anxiety increase pain, and although the bath may not take away the pain, it does help, and definitely relaxes!! I hope you are feeling better today.
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • i am at that point myself {what do you do when the pain gets too much to handle} i coped with it for as long as i could but i have had to visit my doctor and he has referred me back to the surgeons and given me diazepam to help with the spasms.sometimes there's no point ballsing it out because its not going to get any better on its own .and going back to you doctor is the only way .like you say going to the hospital is a waste of time as they don't want to know with chronic pain.they just make you wait for hours then send you home with paracetamol.it only becomes an emergency if you cant pee or the other ! or if your pain killers just wont shift your pain and you are screaming with agony.that's the UK line anyway
    STRAKER
  • I think if your pain is too much that you cant get out of bed, you should go the the ER. That is what I had to do a few weeks ago. I ended up being put in the hospital for IV dilaudid cause that is the only thing that works when it gets out of control. They seem to get me under control and then my normal meds work. In my opinion, the meds you are on are not that strong for severe pain. Maybe the ER can give you something to make you more comfortable till you see your Dr.? Hope this makes sense. Good Luck...
  • I agree, pain can be completely subjective....I ussually only consider myself about a 5, when my eyes are watering from the pain. Last time I was at the ER they had to give me 4mg of diladid just to roll me over to look at my back.

If your family doc will only give you 7.5 loratabs, you need to go see pain management people. While we attempt differnt efforts to fix or at least improve my back, I have my pain management doc who will basicly give me anything I want...but I wont take most of the stuff, because I dont wanna get to severe of a addiction. Pain management doctors can weed thru the pill heads, and give the few of us who are truly in pain what we need...

so far what is working for me is..
    a.m. 1 flexeril 10mg
    1 Opana 20mg
    1 vicodin 10mg

P.m. 1 flexeril 10mg
    1 opana 10mg
    2 vicodin 10mg

seems to really control it, with very few break thru pain bouts... the only thing I can suggest is dont keep loading up on drugs to make your pain completely disapeer, or your tolerance will go up very quickly. Hell even my dose, could be enough to truly hurt someone who doesn't have a opiat tolerance already... good luck to you. Trust me I know pain, my L5 is degenerated to only 3mm, and crushing my Sciatic nerve on my S1.
  • Amanda, try a warm bath. If that doesn't work, try ice if the pain is radiating down your leg put the ice where it feels like it is originating from.

I know that it's tough to go to the ER for pain but they can help you get the pain under control. They can also refer you to the appropriate doctor if needed. You said neuro so I'm not sure if you mean neurologist or neurosurgeon. If it's surgeon, you should try to see a neurologist. Have you been to PM? They would be able to prescribe meds and help find the right meds for you. I know that my PCP told me that he could prescribe any med but not all drs can prescribe certain classes of meds. (If I remember what he said exactly.)

Good luck. Hope you get some relief. But if you can't function and are in so much pain that you are crying then go to the ER. You cannot be refused treatment for any reason.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.