Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

burning back pain and other symptoms

strakerstraker Posts: 1,851
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Lower Back Pain
hi everyone
i was wondering do any of you get this burning back pain .especially when you wake or have been lay down on a recliner or settee? its like you have done 100000 sit ups that kind of pain .it tends to ease off as you walk around .in my case it travels down my legs to my feet where it then changes from burning to cold! and numb its very uncomfortable .also whilst i am having a good moan i can't wear normal shoes or boots because my feet hurt and burn .also {sorry to go on} but i can't stand anything on my right leg even underwear as this feels like my legs is being crushed.i have been like this since my last operation and ..to some degree for the last 6/7 years {unable to wear proper clothing due to the altered sensations down my legs ..i know that i have asked many questions but i would be grateful for any replies to any or my questions ,forgive me if my post are not up to standard as at the moment my pain is high all the time and i am having problems getting my thoughts and feeling down on paper ..if you know what i mean
thanks for you support

• Hi Straker,
    Sorry you are having such a rough time. Didn't you just have a Dr. appointment? How did it go?
    I don't have the type of symptoms you are talking about. If sitting too long and then get up my back hurts like heck and spasms, but it tends to stay in just the lumbar area. Occaissionally it travels down my left leg. Walking about helps.
    As for shoes, have you tried Crocs? They are not very attractive (who cares?)but I see more and more people wearing them. They slip on and off, no bending necessary. They have a strap to go around your heel or you can fold it over. For winter weather they have fleece-lined ones that supposedly you don't need socks, they are cozy-warm. I'm going to order a pair for myself for my fusion recovery this winter. The first time I noticed these shoes was when my little one was in the hospital NICU for many weeks and almost every nurse wore them.
    How did you survive that wedding. I was thinking of you, its hard to go to social events and smile through the pain. Take care,
  • yes i live in my bright orange crocs they are fantastic and yes i went to the doctor on Thursday he has referred me back to the surgeons.{the wedding is on sunday}
  • Straker, I think I know the kind of pain you're talking about. I used to get it a lot down my leg when I first injured my back in the early-mid nineties, but it eased up quite a bit after my laminectomy.

Lately however, I've started getting really weird sensations on my left leg (knee and thigh, mostly) and last night it started in my toe. It starts as a tingling, hot feeling with numbness, as if I've been plugged into a low electrical current, and then intensifies into an alternately burning/icy sensation (sometimes it feels burning hot and icy cold at the same time). It's a bit like pins and needles but about 100 times more intense and damned uncomfortable (to say the least!). It's started throbbing as well over the last couple of days. It started off just being annoying and strange, but now it's getting to be a worry, as it's intensifying all the time. It seems to be worse after sitting down or lying down, but it seems to strike at random a lot as well. It starts up sometimes when I put trousers on, or when the breeze from the air conditioner hits it. I keep wanted to take my pants off (not really an option if I'm outdoors). I'm guessing it's nerve-related, maybe a type of paraesthesia, which would make sense given my nerve problems. I'm going to mention it to my PM doc on Wednesday.

I realise this probably isn't any help, but thought I'd mention it, as it sounds similar to what you're getting. Do you (or anyone else) know if lidocaine cream is appropriate for this kind of pain? I've heard of it being used for nerve pain, but I've not tried it before. Good luck!
  • Straker - I can only say that I am pulling for yah! David
  • Are you a fan of Chef Mario Battali??! He ONLY wears orange shoes, mostly crocs. I passed him on the street in New York City once and sure enough he had on bright orange shoes.
    Hoping the surgeons you meet with can give you some kind of relief.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm sorry to hear that you're having such a rough time. I hope that you can get an appointment soon to see the surgeon. I know it will seem like forever while you're waiting. I wish you the best.

• The burning pain you describ is what I feel after my pain meds have taken the worst pain away, the trobby stabby kind. In my case I had three torn discs so I have always thought this was nerve damage fronm the fluid in the discs. Maybe not. Just when I lay down for too long I can feel it, with or without meds, if you know what I mean. I also am a crock wearer, as I cant bend from fusion and they are so comfy. I hope you surgeon gives you some answers and that you can achieve some level of pain control. Hang in there, we are pulling for ya!
  • i really don't know why things are as bad as they are my doctor thinks that the scar tissue and facet joint hypertrophy along with my congenital spinal abnormalities has a lot to do with it ..whilst i was in his surgery i said to him my right leg is colder that my left he felt both legs and said there are the same .its the nerves in your back tricking your brain .i have also got problems peeing ..i feel like i want to go and can't then about half an hour later i can .i have lots of neurological problems with my back the surgeon described it as a mop head dipped in tar the mophead being the nerves and the tar being the scar tissue ..he said that never in a million years could he remove all the scar tissue without damaging the nerves some of them are less that the width of a human hair ..that was nearly 2 years ago .my doctor recons that the scar tissue has grown back and now i am getting loads of false signals to my brain telling me that i have a cold numb leg and crushed foot etc ..when i don't ..still the pain is real !
  • i just typed a reply to you and then my computer went down and i lost the letter. boy you have had so much trouble. i just wish there were a miracle and the pain would go away. i know exactly how you feel because my pain sounds like yours. boy even the recliner isnt helping too much for you....
    my drs told me no more surgery because nothing they can do. but pm dr wants to try scs. why cant you get scs in europe? youd probably get relief by it. anyway try to find some position that helps. i usually hit the floor. in fact im on my side on floor now. maybe you can use a little imagination and migically place yourself in your favorite place. my favorite place is swimming in the tropical sea and watching colorful fish. one day after my surgery i was in the hospital and i saw tropical fish up on the ceiling...i was hallucinating but i dodnt mind it.
    anyway someone is just testing the two of us and we have to keep hoping we'll get some peace...please feel better....pete

This discussion has been closed.