Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 weeks post acdf

jeffsneckjjeffsneck Posts: 25
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am approaching my 4 week post op visit and some things seem to be getting worse. My throat is feeling more pain than it has so far, the piercing nerve pains " i'm assuming" are shooting through my shoulder and bicep, and there is a strong burning sensation on the back of my neck around c5c6 area. I cant really tell if ice or heat seem to be helping. On top of that I have a shooting pain from the other side going under my collar bone. I wouldn't think that my acdf would affect my lumbar fusion from 2 years ago, but my sciatic nerve in my buttock and hamstring is acting up. I was wondering how long some of you acdf patients were out of work

• Make sure that you write all this down and take it with you to your appointment. You may be feeling better that day or have a specific area of pain that is flaring and accidentally forget to mention the rest to the surgeon.

It is quite conceivable that by trying to protect your neck, you have placed extra strain on your lower back. I do that from time to time when I try to reduce the strain on my neck in certain situations, I do so at the price of stressing my lower back and irritating the nerves to my legs.

• I have not had the surgery that you have had...but I have noticed for myself a connection between my sciatic and neck - Each time I received an injection thru 2008 for my cervical (radiofrequency diagnostic injections and the ablagation itself) my right side sciatic and down the leg ached like no buddies business.

I did mention this to my doctor - he didn't think much off it - but for me - my symptoms tendencies go to the left, but the days the right is acting up - I feel it down into my buttocks and sciatic.

Like C said it may be a result of using our bodies different - or maybe it has something to do with the wiring. Also, my right toe goes to sleep quite often - my sense it is from my neck again.

• Thanks for the suggestions.
    Hopefully I'll know more after the Neuro on Thursday