Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Update on my sciatica for all my supportive spiney friends...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
As a follow up...My last post was in July after 2 failed steroid injections & nerve tests. I had reported my pain had subsided & the nerve tests confirmed a pinched nerve in my left leg & nerve damage in the right which was causing the sciatica & the numbness in my lower left leg & foot.Finally seen a nero surgeon the end of July. The doc said my pain had probably subsided due to my lack of activity & recommended I wait on surgery until the terrible pain returned. I was doing so well I was even walking upright! He said when the pain returned they could do a simple procedure (I'm guessing a laminectomy by what he described) and I could walk out the same day without pain! He also said that when the pain returned I could call him & he could prescribe me something. I imagine Lyrica or neurontin but I've tried Lyrica & it was horrible. I couldn't function or stay awake much less focus 2 drive a car. He said I didn't have 2 worry about permanent nerve damage & that it wasn't cauda equina so I was glad 2 hear that. I told him I wanted to bowl again & join a league he said "ok, but you should probably use a lighter ball" Well I joined league last week & have been practicing for the last month. My sciatica Is slowly coming back. I do all kinds of strange dances trying 2 get out of bed in the morning & the pain comes & goes after that. I imagine it's a matter of time b4 I'm back to the constant pain I used 2 experience but I'm trying not to let it get me down this time. I refuse to quit the bowling even if it means crawling up to the lane! Just wanted to update all the supportive peeps that have been so helpful 2 me here. >:D<

• boy if you can dance when you get out of bed you can hold off a bit longer. one guage of whether surgery is needed is when bowling average goes down...then its really time for the knife >:D< >:D<
  • :D If you don't mind looking not so "fashion forward" :B (LOL) - I go around with an ice pack (comes with the fanny pack holder) on my buttocks -- even use it when I cut the grass. It really seems to help the sciatica from getting out of control. Of course, this is coupled with my taking tramadol and lyrica. I don't know why the doctor is waiting for you to be in extreme pain before he gives you more medication.

I'm not crazy about my weight gain on lyrica but I'm not crazy about being in pain either so I take the lyrica. It made me sleepy at first but that went away. The worst side effect for me is the forgetfulness #o -- it's like my brain pauses for a 5 second delay before it will lets me have the word or phrase I'm looking for. As if being a blonde wasn't enough!

Sciatica is like "hide and seek" you never know when it will find you and Tag you! I just keep moving and hope to hell I leave that little monster in the dust!

Good luck to you and keep on bowling! I'm sure Pete will come up with a solution to your bowling issue -- just let him think on it a bit. (LOL)

Take care,

• Imagine a stick man - with a bowling ball, lobing it about 20 feet downlane to get it rolling and you have my way of bowling.

I gave it up many, many years ago, caused me too much grief.

But I can still dance, sittin on a stool, swingin my chair and stomping my hardwood cane loudly on the floor.

Hope your feeling a little better with the news that you have!!
  • Hi, name is Belinda..I am a newbie..I have DJD in L3-S1,,Herninated discs in the same area, pinched nevers in L2 regionsish (Doc's are not toally sure about this one)sciatic issues, right inner knee pain and 6 surgeries on left foot resulting in nerve damage..Have been to 3 pain magt clinics..have had over 30 (total from 00-09) types of injections in all the areas it reccomends..had releif for a few months..had rhizotomy on sciaitc (2005) and now it is worse than ever..had last set of back injections in March 2009..got no relief..I also have SHINGLES in the nerve track of L4-S1..so even taking my hyped up does of Valtrix b4 injs. I still had out break & Pain Doc said maybe not a canidate for this any more..since of that and no improvement..Have no INSURANCE as of date, dont qualify for any until my income sinks below 230.00/mth..On unemployment, waiting for disability hearing, living in MICH which is just so rich in jobs (LOL!)Used to be in Medical Field..Worked in the Lab as MT doing all the lab tests & bld draws..LOVED IT, still do..too physically demanding for me..I am single mom with 1 daughter with asbergers autism..have had to move back home with my Mom due to financial & physical limitations..Very frustrated with my PCP who thinks I am not "disabled" but a person with "limitations" and that I just need to search real hard for the "right" job for me..Can't take any NSAIDs due to 14 bleeding ulcers and almost died due to them..Have been put on nuerotin, cymbalta, lyrica, prozac,tramadol, trazadone, amphtriptline, worked for awhile than no longer gave me relief & side effects of some meds I could not take..am on Vicodain ES & Valium which works well for me but doc thinks I've been on& off for a few years and wants me off..which right now is the only thing helping me keep pain at a 6-7 most days..I would love to get new doc. but have no financial resources and dread starting over again..I do SWIM as often as I can afford the gas to get there (I live way out in the country & no bus services)and when my car is running..I have tried to walk with my Mom but afterwards I am in so much pain..I can relate to other folk who posted I pray the good lord would just take me..I am right there..too much stress and I can't seem to dig myself out of this never ending sprial I seem to be in..any suggetions, comments..thanks..sorry so long
  • deltalady said:

Sciatica is like "hide and seek" you never know when it will find you and Tag you! I just keep moving and hope to hell I leave that little monster in the dust!

I can not have worded it better! The only way I could describe it to friends was "a minefield" you never know if that next step will trigger a bomb.

Since the epi I feel like most of the minefield has been cleared ... my brain though will never forget it.

• heck, i thought i was screwed. i just have a few problems that screw me up. lol
    no, really i hope you can find peace in your heart and a doc that can help. good luck on your search and remember your not alone when it comes to pain . god bless you for keeping in the fight.
  • Hope you are moving (literally) forward in finding solutions..I do this movement like hoola hooping before I get out of bed..it helps me to take the first step in the am..I hope you are able to bowl..it sounds like you enjoy the sport and it brings you joy..which we all need lots of in our life..just a thought..i know it wouldnt be true bowling but are their video games of bowling you might be able to play that may give you some joy? unless it depresses ya because you aren't actually throwing the ball..just athought..