Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Wrong surgery?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I recently had a procedure called AxiaLif. This procedure basically has a rod inserted at the base of the tailbone to access S1. Then a titanium post is placed between S1 and L5. Before the procedure I brought up with my surgeon that all my test results (MRI's and Discography) indicated that S1 and L5 were sacarilized and that L4 and L5 there is a broad based disk protrusion, with a focal right posterior disk protrusion resulting in moderately severe right neuroforaminal narrowing. My Discography also determined fully concordant pain with L4 and L5. I am wondering why my surgeon decided to fuse a disk that was already fused and will that cause more problems at L4 L5? I am 2 weeks post op with no releif in my original pain. Does anyone have any advice of suggestions?

• That is a very good question, and, one you need to ask your surgeon. As you explain it, the surgery doesn't make sense. You will continue to have pain if your problems at L4-5 have not been addressed.
  • I agree with Gwennie. It sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of the anatomy. Your surgeon should be able to explain what his plan was, and when he plans on doing something about the disc at L4-5.

Good Luck
  • Please let us know what your surgeon says. It almost sounds like your doctor wanted to do the Axialif procedure even though it wasn't appropriate for your level of pain.

What did he say when you brought up about the test results showing the location of your pain at L4-L5?? I hope your surgeon has some really good explanation that is above our laymen's ability to deduce!! :O

I am really sorry you aren't feeling any better. I know how horrible it is to wake up from surgery hoping to feel better and find you are the same, or worse.
  • but why did you proceed with the surgery if you had these concerns? What did the surgeon say when you asked him? Did you have other opinions?

I'm a bit confused why you would proceed when you do sound like you have a good grasp on your anatomy and what your issues were.

I hope you find a solution