Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

back to work after acdf c5/6

swaynesswayne Posts: 42
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi all ive not had my surgery yet, 21st sep 09 is the day but im just worried about goin back to work,at the moment i drive mercedes cars for a living but its very qiet and may even lose my job,if that happens i may have to look at goin back truck driving which im almost certain will take longer to be fit enough to do plus the fact that most jobs of that kind include heavy lifting i think it will be a long time before i work but need to work, is there anybody out there had this kind of surgery and gone back to a heavy job please let me know the outcome cheers

• I was ready for all lifting and driving after 4 months... however I think I was one of the lucky ones. I had ACDF c5/6 with donor bone and titanium plate.

My doctor said I healed fast because 1)I'm young (47 yrs), 2)I don't smoke, and 3)I did everything he told me to do.

He likes to take credit whenever he can. ((smile))
  • im only 35 years old and dont smoke (never have) O:) and i am going to follow orders to the letter so hopfully i should be fine after 4 months aswell thanks
    ps glad your doing well =D>
  • Just had C5/C6 with donor bone and Titanium Plate (medtronics zephyr). Had my follow-up at 10 days and x-rays showed the bones starting to knit together and doctor cleared me to drive and go back to work.

The outcome has been great and less painful than expected, just an ache in the back of my neck and muscle discomfort down the middle of the back. Told the latter is due to them stretching the vertebrae 2-3 mm when the put in the donor graft and stretching ligaments / slight tearing muscle.

Worst has been the cold I picked up from my kids this week - coughing and sneezing are very uncomfortable. But that aside - not cleared to lift or do anything besides walking and no lifting of anything. No neck brace either - basic instructions..."If it hurts, don't do that..." I go back Oct. 7th (6 weeks) and get x-ray and hope to be cleared for light exercise at that time.

Told I'm not typical - healing @ twice as fast as expected and incision is already flattening and fading. I'm healthy, young (42), fit and never been a smoker which I'm told makes a lot of difference. Feel fortunate...now to just get past the hurdle at 6-weeks and confirm we have "achieved fusion..."
  • wow glad to hear your doing well hope im as fast to heal and get back to normal what ever that is cheers, wayne.
  • i was back to work as a letter carrier after 3 months. ive learned to work safer and only lift things less than 35lbs. otherwise i feel great and back to being in shape and healthy.