Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back stiffness/tightness after extended periods of standing

buckfan68bbuckfan68 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Lower Back Pain
It's been gradual, noticing it for the first time a few months ago and visiting a chiro. and just recently a PT.... No "incident" of injury felt, but my job includes standing, repetiveness and a moderate amount of waist-level lifting.

The lower back ache is felt ONLY when standing for long periods of time. Usually a few good stretches (as directed by PT) give relief. But, after an hour the tightness returns. It especially is uncomfortable reaching down or going down (to sit) after this period of standing.

My medical doctor didn't get an X-ray at this time, diagnosing as a soft-tissue/ lumber strain. Just going with the conservative treatments for the time being. Have no leg pain or tingling or other symptoms. In fact, being active (walking/ biking or whatever) bring no discomfort at all.

Anyone have any input/ suggestions &/or experience with this kind of thing? With no improvement in the next couple of weeks, will probably head back to the doctor for more tests.

• Hi, I would ask for xrays just to be safe, it could just be pressure on your back or spasms but its always better to know what your dealing with before taking any actions.
    Good luck, keep us updated.
  • Thanks for the response. I have thought about going back for an X-Ray now that some of the treatments haven't been the cure.

Should add that for three weeks I've have some corresponding ache on the front of right knee when I feel the back tightness increase. PT says it's nothing to worry about, since the leg's quad muscle would also be hurting if this was disc-related.

All the various actions provide short-term relief -- ultrasound, traction, and icing. And, the inflamation seems to be improved around the area. However, an hour or so after a few hamstring & backstretches, the feeling returns. I have tried putting one leg up on a rest which, of course, helps... as well as work on posture and continue good lifting technique.

I have been told to be patient and to keep doing the exercises. But, it is really frustrating to always keep going back to the same. The good thing is that the discomfort isn't "constant" and at least I know what to do to lessen the pain.

Concerned this may be something more... like SI joint-related. Hope not.

This discussion has been closed.