Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ultram?

jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:35 AM in Chronic Pain
My pain DR recently prescribed Vicodin and Ultram for pain. I was told by neurosurgeon no NSAIDS. So I am confused. I looked up Ultram on the web half of the web says it is a NSAID and the other half says it is not. Which is it? One of the drugs I was told I could not take is Toradol. Isnt Toradol the generic for Ultram? Being the holiday weekend I can not call surgeon to find out. Anyone have a clue?
Susan
advertisement

Comments

• marirlpnmmarirlpn Posts: 1,028
    edited 09/03/2016 - 5:10 AM
    Ultram is tramadol and it is not an NSAID. : Have a good day!

Marianne
  • I totally agree with Marianne..
    hugs Patsy
  • Ultram is NOT an NSAID it isn't much good for pain for anyway. For some, my sister included it works good for onset pain or break through pain. It should work ok if you are also going to take the Vicodin.
  • I some times use it as a booster with a few pain meds and it helps.
    Another suggestion when i have to take a stronger pain med. i will take a ultram about 2 hours later and seems to keep the stronger med working a little longer.
    Just my experience with ultram, nice little helper to have around for PRN...
    Hugs to all..Patsy
  • I agree with Patsy. I'm prescribed tramadol for neuropathic pain (it is supposed to be good for this type of pain), and while I don't find it a particularly strong analgesic, it does seem to help more when used with other pain relievers and muscle relaxants, rather than by itself.

Tramadol (Ultram, etc.) is definitely not an NSAID. It's a dual-action pain reliever that works partly on the opioid receptors and partly by affecting serotonergic and noradrenergic levels.

Be careful if you're taking it with certain other drugs (such as anti-depressants and MAO inhibitors), as this can increase the possibility of negative effects such as convulsions (it lowers the seizure threshold) or, in extreme cases, Serotonin Syndrome.

Toradol (ketorolac) is a strong NSAID that is used for severe acute pain; it is not recommended for chronic pain.

• I take tramadol and coincidentally just asked the pharmacist not too long ago if it contained antiinflammatory properties and she said no. So I started taking Advil or Alleve along with the tramadol and it seems to work for me.

Judy
  • Everyone is different. Posting that a certain drug is not very good leads to a perception that it probably won't work.

It would be better to state that it did not work for yourself and your pain or that it did not quite do the job.

I personally had very good results with Ultram at the time I was taking it.
  • I just want to say hi and let us out there know I never mean to say good or bad things about any med. If I ever have.. sorry... I always try to remember to say MY experience... or FOR ME.... or even say the word suggestion... and that's how the certain meds
    works or worked for me

Hugs to all...Patsy
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.