Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Spine MRI questions

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello Everyone,

Before, I start telling my story can everyone please take a look at my MRI scan's and tell me what they think. It is not a trick question, I just want to see if I am being paranoid.

Thanks Guys

• welcome to spine health...if you are in pain and i assume you are you have come to the right place...we are here to share information and make some friends in our quest for finding some piece of mind in this battle of pain. take a peak at FAQ above to start checking out what's offered here.
    i'll tell you one thing though theres no spinal surgeons here to analyze mris or check your reflexes. some people say i dont know a spinal cord from a rope. however with my limited knowledge obviously there is some impingement. we would love to hear the rest of your story like what spinal surgeon recommends and what and where you have pain...look forward to hearing from you...pete
  • Thanks Pete, I was typing it out whilst you was making your post. Sorry, since the operation my typing speeds have slowed down a little.

yes I am here to meet like minded people and hopefully get through the pain as quickly as possible.

Thank you
  • Welcome to SH. You've come to a great place. After I had my C5/6 fusion, that night I had incredible pain from my shoulder to hand. I was readmitted after 3 days home to the hospital for pain control. My NS said to me that the nerve had been badly compressed and as a result of the surgery it "woke" up and would take a bit of time to recover. Two to three months later, pain was gone. Today, I sometimes forget I had the fusion done. For a number of years before I had surgery, I was told my pain was from my shoulder and had several courses of PT. Our stories sound similiar. Give yourself more time to heal. I am interested in hearing if they find anything wrong with your shoulder.

Best wishes to you,

• Thanks Marianne,

The situation is a little confusing. Before the OP my NS said that it was not my shoulder but my neck and that I should not have PT.

Now he has told me that the MRI did indicate a couple of possible problems with my shoulder (not sure why no one mentioned this to me before) and that I should have PT.

I am seeing my GP tomorrow for a chat and to get a better understanding of what is happening and I am going back to my original consultant next week. I will let you know what they say.

Thank you
  • hi...even i could see the area they operated on as bad....as for 4/5 it obviously isnt as bad but youll have to get the surgeons opinion...cant believe they havent given you pain meds....have you pushed them sufficiently?
    for your sake i hope its the shoulder as you have had enough trouble lately with the spine.
    i had a 3 level fusion done in my lower cervical and upper thoracic. i still have pain due to two screws not sunk properly but i would not want more surgery at this time....please keep us posted...pete
  • Your story sounds almost exactly like mine ! Had the same symptoms, procedure and the same discs done in early June. I still have pain if if do anything with my right hand. I see the NS Friday.
  • Just a quick update, I have an appointment to see a consultant with regard to my shoulder next week. Hopefully, he will explain what the two things mentioned in my MRI report are.

Went to see my own GP yesterday... He agrees with the NS that I am depressed and has prescribed me some medication....

I honestly don't feel depressed or down. Just a little fed up of being in pain most of the time.

Just have to wait until next week now to find out about my shoulder.

Does anyone know if working in an office and using a computer can cause cervical disc's to prolapse ?
  • i guess we all look back to see what might have caused our spine to go. there are so many factors its impossible to pinpoint exactly what the cause might be. i suppose if your posture is poor no matter what you do will cause you trouble. just bend too far forward and put neck in bad position will put strain on discs. then there are genetic factors or an earlier accident that can set the ball rolling down hill. all we can do is plod ahead with hope it wont get worse.....pete
  • Thanks Pete,

I just don't want to go through this again. I watched a video on youtube of a woman that had two discs removed, then six months later had to have another one removed and then nearly a year later a fourth..

I would not wish this pain onto anyone. It is crazy that a simple thing like washing my hair in the shower or getting in and out of a bath nearly bring me to tears, out of pure agony.

I know the pain I am in, is nothing compared to the pain that some of the people here is in and I am grateful for small mercy's.

I am just hoping that there will be no long term effects as a result of this.

Thank you
  • Hello everyone,

In the post today, I received a copy of a letter sent by my NS to my GP.

I don't know if I am being paranoid but it sounds to me like he is suggesting that I the pain I am in, is in my mind.

He said:

"I am delighted to say that napier123 is off all analgesics (only because he told me to stop taking them)but it has struck me that there is something that doesn't quite make sense here. I would like to keep in close contact with napier123 over the next few weeks and see how things pan out."

I had an Anterior Cervical Discectomy at c5/c6 and c6/7 about 8 weeks ago now.

I have pain in

1)The base and top of my neck.
    2)When I turn my head left and right I a pulling sensation 1/3 down my back.
    3) I get pins and needles in my upper arm
    4) burning sensation in my forearm
    5) Cramp and pins and needles in my wrist, hand and third and little finger.

All of the above is very much improved post op compared to preop.

When I first went to the doctor it was because of pain in my shoulder which has remained constant.

a) When I move my arm up and down it feels like a gearbox with no oil if that makes sense

b ) When I lift myself in and out of a bath, I have to lean my body on the side as I get pain in my shoulder and it feels like it will give way.

c) I get a sharp stabbing pain in the area where my neck meets my shoulder

I also get other pains in my shoulder.

I am now a little concerned that the above pain may be all in my imagination. As I said before the NS said that my MRI scan report referred to two problems with my shoulder. I stupidly did not make a note of the things he said. I have an appointment to see a consultant about my shoulder next Saturday.

Hopefully he will say that there is something wrong with my shoulder, as I don't like the idea of the pain just being a figment of my imagination.

Just feel like I am losing my mind lol, how over dramatic does that sound
  • if most of the pain in the arm is on the side of the shoulder that grinds then in all probability its the shoulder and not the spine... but rest assured your mind wouldnt make up all those symptoms....pete
  • That's a very accessible and easy thing to fix.
    Its a 2 level C7 to T1 Anterior Diskectomy.
    You'll be out of hospital the same day.

Rest of spine looks pretty healthy!

Good Luck
  • Thanks Pete..

I have just come back from seeing a consultant about the pain in my shoulder. He explained that I am a tendon impingment in my shoulder.

I had a steriod injection in my shoulder, when the pain first started in May. However, following my MRI the prolapsed disc's in my neck became the priority.

I had a second injection today with a follow up appointment in four weeks. If, like the first injection this second injection does not work, I will need another operation on my shoulder.

It may sound strange but in away I am relieved that there is something wrong with my shoulder. After seeing the NS, I was seriously starting to think that it was just in my mind.

The consultant explained that he would have prefered to perform the operation now instead of giving a second injection. However, as I am still recovering from the discectomy, he would prefer to wait a few more weeks.

What are the chances of having a tendon impingment and two prolasped discs at the same time lol. It is not even as if I have had a car accident or anything. At least then I would have an interesting story to tell people when they ask how it happend.

Until this year, I had never had an operation or even stayed in a hospital overnight. Now it looks like this will be my third stay in hospital and my second operation..

2009 is turning out to be a very "interesting" so far
  • Neckrophiliac said:
    That's a very accessible and easy thing to fix.
    Its a 2 level C7 to T1 Anterior Diskectomy.
    You'll be out of hospital the same day.

Rest of spine looks pretty healthy!

Good Luck
    Thanks Moe, I have already had the op. I had a c5/6 and c6/c7 discectomy. I was in hospital for four days.

The reason I posted the MRI was because I am still in quite abit of pain and wanted to try and understand what was going on a little more. However, I have subsequently found out that there is an issue with my shoulder which may be causing the pain.
  • i am glad there is a reason for the shoulder pain...at least now you know that its not in your mind. you also know your dr wasnt trained in psychiatry :-C
  • I hear you on the frustration of not knowing where the pain is coming from!

I still wonder if my mid-back/shoulderblade pain is from my spine or from my shoulder. I've always thought shoulder - surgery in 2005, (arm got caught in the steering wheel in the accident) but it's never gone away and now that my lower back isn't so sharp and insistent I can really really feel that shoulderblade & up area burning.

Glad to know that you can pinpoint a source - finally.

Best of luck