Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How to care for small kids after surgery??

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Lower Back Pain
I am 4 weeks past my L/4-L/5 discectomy. I feel SO much better!! No pain now, but I still cant feel my toes.Nerve damage.

Anyway, I have 2 small kids, one being just a year old. I am so tired of staying at home. I can't lift my 1 year old up in her car seat. Also, if we are out in public, sometimes she runs from in the the parking lot and sits down. I think she knows I can't pick her up. LOL Do you guys have small kids? Did you just stay at home for a few months? WHen did you Dr. say you can pick them up? Do you bend over all the time to pick up toys?

Thanks so much for the advice!!

• That is so wonderful that you are feeling so much better!!! I have a 6 yearold and 3 year old. I was cleared to drive at 2 weeks but didn't go without someone with me. I was also cleared to lift 20lbs at 2 weeks but I have not done that yet and I am almost 4 weeks post op.. I am not taking any chances...and if you are feeling so much releif from surg. I wouldn't risk anything! As far as bending down for toys I usually use a grabber they gave me in the hosp. those things are the greatest, and if I do have to pick something up w/out the grabber I squat! I hope you cont. to have a great recovery and I kn ow how it is to be trapped in the house with little ones.. but we have to be patient and let our bodies heal and I am sure we will be thankful we did in the long run! Take Care

• I haven't lifted my daughter in her car seat for years, can't lift her at all. If your child is running away and sitting down(what an ornery kid, does he get that from you?) maybe you could find some motivators. Like, carry some M&M's, and say if you want some, you've got to walk with me. I have a mental picture of a Hansel and Gretel trail.

Running away? If M&M's or whatever don't motivate the rascal, how about one of the kid leashes??? May sound cruel, I always thought they were, but you've got to do whatever you need to.

Can your child climb up into the car seat? If the rascal is a climber, you could stand with your side against the car seat so she doesn't fall out but hold up a sucker or candy or stickers or happy meal toy???? My daughter would climb up with me standing by if I promised her a cookie, etc.

Most grocery stores offer free cookies in the bakery. That's a nice bribe if you find yourself in a pinch in the grocery store and she has sat down.

1 is kind of young, but I tried to get my daughter to help me because she felt like a big girl if she could pick up things off the floor or whatever. Also, I bought uncrustable PBJ sandwiches and put them in the fridge with juiceboxes so my daughter could bring them to me while I was couch-bound and I just opened them.

Let us know if you find any tricks that help, everyone always is looking for another suggestion!
  • My kids are 23 and 20, (thank heavens lol) but I do have a small grandbaby Madison. She is 15 months old and the light of my life.

Due to my back problems I have to sit to lift her, and getting her in and out of the car seat has been an issue for me as well. But this is what I did.

I sat on the edge of the open car door frame (beside the seat) lifted her on my lap and then let her climb into her seat like a BIG GIRL !

I have used treats to keep her close at hand as she loves being outside and wants to explore EVERYTHING...

As for the toys on the floor trick for me was having her learn to help pick up her toys. She loves playing BIG GIRL and helping Poppy pick up things even when I drop them. She has even learned to help me change her diapers and clothes. Her mommy leaves them out for me and Madi will bring them to me when she needs changing.

I am thrilled you are having such success with your surgery please don't over do anything and mess something up.

• I had a 2 level PLIF when my daughter was 15 months old. I was not allowed to lift her for 3 months! My recovery was very slow and painful and since I couldn't lift her someone was always with me, my Mom, MIL, friend or husband. I was horribly stifling. I could drive at 1 month but since I was banned from lifting someone always had to come with me. It was quite challenging.
    The grabber ($10.00) is very helpful. Good luck on your continued great recovery, just be careful.
  • Kerri,
    Good to hear you are doing so well.PLEASE TAKE CARE OF YOUR BACK.I had same surgery 1986-it was a complete success.I had 3 small kids at the time.Had to hire help,or get it from family.Lifting or one quick move -grabbing your daughter to keep her from going in street-could mess up all your hard work.Staying home for a while is worth it.My toes stayed numb and cold on and off for a year-but that went away.Bend as little as possible.Listen to your doctor.You have lots of time in front of you to spend with your kids-take it easy.Had to have my back redone 20 years later as a result of pushing physical limits-too much aggressive activity and being hard headed.Good Luck
  • Thanks so much for all your advice. After reading what everyone wrote, I relized that I am doing WAY to much too soon. I dont want to be in pain again, so I am going to try to take it easy. It's just really hard being stuck in the house until my husband comes home at 6:00. :( But after 3 months I should be independent again!

• Yes, it can be quite a struggle being housebound with young ones, but its not forever. The better you take care of yourself now, the sooner and better you will heal. Right now I am imagining myself recovering from a 2 level ALIF during the Northeast winter, oh dear Lord, I hope I don't go insane!!
    If you find yourself having a rough time you can PM me (or call a friend). Sometimes its easier to chat with someone who's been in the same boat. As helpful as others can be, most just don't GET IT, hang in there.
  • After my L5-S1 discectomy(4" incision) last year, I had to figure out how to help with 4 kids, ages 10, 6, 5, and 9 months. Ya, it was hard. I never went anywhere by myself with the kids. I did stay at home mostly for 2 months or so. I only took the kids out on my own, as I was getting better and walking to hel get my strength back. Hubby strapped the baby in the stroller for me and off we went. Thankfully the older kids were good. Over the past year, with my autoimmune arthritis disease, there were times when I was in a flare, that there was no way I could run after my toddler. I bought one of these http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4532497

It keeps him safe. Plain and simple. He's the kind of busy guy who would run out in traffic without it.He actually likes his "leash" too. It has a pocket so you can put a small toy, a little book, snack, or even a smaller sippy cup in it too. He feels free to explore things around him, without having to hold Mommy's hand all the time. Ya, I get dirty looks from prople sometimes, and I wouldn't use it if it weren't necessary, but it is. Umfortunately people are rude and judge without knowing a thing about a situation. It's just a fact. All I have to say about that is, "$#*% Them." Hehe.
  • Kerri,
    In adapting to a new strategy young children and bad backs are never an easy combination, I have two young children and a disabled son, as janeellen said, bend as little as possible, gadgets are available to pick things up and perhaps you could make it into a game. As you say the hardest thing is adapting to not doing what everyone else seems to be doing even activity with young children.

I remember when the pram went one way and another child the other, mine has ben for ever and although my children endured the remnants of my limitations they seem to have turned out ok, they did miss our on certain things, having benefited from my sedate pace, come on dad !..................this is fast.

This discussion has been closed.