Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

One Week Post Op & Still Experiencing New Pain

WandtmacWWandtmac Posts: 122
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Good Morning Everyone,
Today I am one week post op from my ACDF C5-6. Everyday brings a new challenge. I am actually just starting to feel fatigue but that is probably my doing. Never really did relax and take it easy. I mean I was up and walking the halls less than a hour after my surgery. I was determined to get out of that hospital. Love my doctor but hate these hospitals around here.
My spasms are not improving but I know every morning I must get up, take a super hot shower and get dressed put on my best shoes. I am missing my nice dress shoes! I try to get a good walk in then I take a nap if my body will let me. I am not trying to come off my pain meds because I know I need them for other reasons (I was taking these meds for arthritis pain before this happened). Once these spasms back down I will try to back off more. I sit here and look at my house and think 'man so much time off and I can't do any of my home improvement duties!'
I am feeling more pain than before the surgery but I believe that is good news for me. I had numbness and no function of my left arm before, so pain means something is waking back up in there. I do have a very stiff neck and I try not to stretch too much due to I am afraid that my incision with break open, I had to take the steri strips off due to allergic reaction. But, the hives are now under control due to an consuming large amounts of antihistamine (you would think that would knock me out, no such luck).

One thing people must realize about me is that I am not new to surgery. I have had 6 different surgeries that left me with railroad tracks on my stomach. Each one I had between 48 to 65 staples. Now that is pain. Then I have had 3 others before this one that I was lucky enough to have with lap. NOW I LOOK LIKE A DRIVE BY SHOOTING VICTIM THAT LOST A KNIFE FIGHT. This surgery was lucky number 10.

Well, I will let everyone go now. I am very bored and lonely. My husband and I don't have kids after 17 years of marriage because of my cancer, so when I sit here and talk to my dogs they just stare. I really wished one would answer me but then I know I would probably have a long vacation in a mental hospital.

Take care everyone...
Traci Mac

• those dogs may not talk and hopefully they dont bark too much but i bet theyre thinking that you are one heck of a fighter and youre going to recover quickly from this comparatively easy surgery.
    just want to wish you good luck and a speedy recovery....pete
  • One week post op is not very long when it comes to cervical surgery. Having surgery on the neck is just so much different than surgery on any other part of the body. For one thing it is the most dynamic point of movement of our entire body. We have a balancing act going on all the time with supporting our head on an unbelievably complex skeletal structure. It's going to hurt. Nerves that are no longer impinged are going to "wake up" and most times they aren't very happy when they do.

I'm glad that you were able to get the hives under control. That is so incredibly uncomfortable when that happens.

I have a cat who does talk back and he is a hoot. He shares my computer desk with me and there are times that he is quite the conversationalist. My dog on the other hand is just a great listener.

I hope you get through this phase of your healing soon. I have to say it though ... you gotta be patient and let your body heal.

Take care,

• I knew this would be a whole new experience over the other surgeries. I thought it would be more like my lumbar surgery which was a great success for me. I had very short notice of this surgery and believe I found this website a few days before. My medical files for the lumbar surgery was used several years ago for a seminar about the ideal patient and the ideal recovery desired for lumber fusion and discectomy.
    My life will be nothing but surgeries every 6 to 8 months unless they find a cure for abdominal adhesions. I get them BAD... I know when it is happening and I wait until all my 'functions' almost come to a halt before opting to go under again.
    God Bless Everyone that has to deal with any type of illness.