Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Memory Foam mattreses are no good for back pain!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
For me they aren't! No support! I just got one less than a week ago and I haven't had this much back pain in four years. That's when I had a whiplash accident. Now the pain is back! I'm also getting some sciatica. O' boy! I just bought a Sealy trueform 'cool springs' twin mattress less than a week ago from a place called "EDITED". It's terrible! My old 19 year old bed was better. Even though it had lumps, it didn't cause any back pain. The memory foam doesn't keep my back and spine straight. It bows from the least amount of weight. This is unacceptable! When sleeping on it it feels like a water bed filled with an inadequate amount of silicone jel. You just continue to sink deeper and deeper. It's atrocious. I just thought I'd warn everyone here. Firm is best because you get support for your back and spine. I don't mean a hard bed. I mean a bed that keeps your back more or less straight. For people with back pain, spine injuries, sciatica, and people who don't want any of these problems, AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

Standards agreement and posting rules
Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums. ** We can't name specific doctors, hospitals, stores, etc. Sorry, bud!
Edited by moderator JEAUX

• I love mine. Sorry yours did not work out for you.

I did try one of the foam mattress toppers for my kids' beds (it was only 2" thick) and while I found it comfy - after about a year, they didn't think they were comfy any more. BUT, they were cheap enough that I could throw them out (actually, rolled them up to use at the hunting camp) and buy new ones.

Did yours come with a satisfaction guarantee? I sure hope it did.

Finding the right mattress is a daunting task. Especially once we get used to our old mattress sets. I had a water bed, traded it in for a pillow top mattress - which lasted about 7 years before I couldn't take it any more, then finally about 3 years ago got my tempurpedic space age foam mattress. I would not go back! I have at times gotten "bored" with it, so I bought a down filled "feather mattress" to put on top. Almost have a new mattress without the huge expense. AND, it's light enough that I can take it off if I want to.

Good luck in the mattress quest!