Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Burial of My Father, a Marine.

ernurseeernurse Posts: 790
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Matters of the Heart

My father died this week from pancreatic cancer. He, though not a member here, was a spiney from top to bottom. My Father is a Marine.

Thank you all who have supported me. We received the official diagnosis the day I had my perm SCS surgery and he died even before my staples were removed. I have the extreme privilege of being his daughter and trying to comfort him as he died.

I hope this link works, it's for those that would like to see what a burial with military honors is like. Thank a true Marine if you love the US or if a Marine has helped your country.

• er nurse, i am sorry for your loss. this poem has helped me in the past week, maybe it will help you to.

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
    I am not there, I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow.
    I am the diamond glint on snow.
    I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
    I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you wake in the morning hush,
    I am the swift, uplifting rush
    Of quiet birds in circling flight.
    I am the soft starlight at night.

Do not stand at my grave and weep.
    I am not there, I do not sleep.
    (Do not stand at my grave and cry.
    I am not there, I did not die!
    Mary Frye (1932)
  • thank you for sharing the burial of your dad. i am so sorry for your loss. i'm sure the pain of his passing is worse than any back pain...sincerely, pete
  • I am so very sorry for your pain at this time. No words can really help, but please know that I care, and that I am here if you need me.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • ernurse, it is a privilege to know you and i am sure your care and concern were nothing but wonderful for your dad.. =D> now you have wonderful memories to touch your heart the rest of your days.. :D he is resting in love and peace! :X may you rest in love and peace as well! :X Hugssss, >:D< >:D< Jenny :) p.s. the video was beautiful
  • I'am sorry about your loss Angie, I just met u on chat and I thank you and your Day for his service.
  • Hi Angie,

First off, I'm very sorry about your dad. Especially given the pain he had to endure.

I came very close last year to losing my dad due to pancreatitis. He was in the hospital a total of three months and rehab for two just to get the strength back to walk. We had a few moments during the whole ordeal when the doctors called and said they didn't think he was going to make it.

As sad as it was at that time, my only comforting thoughts were that one, if he did pass, he would be with his mom and dad in Heaven and two, I had the opportunity to grow up learning from a man that Webster's could use as an example of the word "Integrity".

I'm very sorry that your dad passed. Please feel free to e-mail if you need to chat.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    I am hoping that you and your family have strength to get through this.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • my condolences to you and your family. Youre warrior father is resting. His well earned and deserved welcome into the next part of his life has happened. In hope you have peace in your heart and rest well knownig your beloved father protected us and his country.
    I am sorry for your loss, but there is no pain where he went, only rest.
    be at ease in your heart and my best wishes for you and your family.
    Semper Fi
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Thank you so much for sharing this part of your life with us...

My dad passed away this year, too. He was a WW2 Navy vet. It was sure something to watch him being saluted. He was only a gunner's mate, but the 3 Sailors they sent to "see him off" acted like he was a very high ranking official. And, hearing the presenter of the Flag tell my mother - "On behalf of the president of the United States and its citizens we present this flag to you and offer you our most sincere condolences". He did not die in battle, he was 83 years old. And yet, he was treated with so much respect. And the bugle player - he brought a tear to my eye. Taps is such a sad song.

Your dad had a 21 gun salute. He must have been a very important Marine. What I especially liked was the ones giving the 21 gun salute appeared to be the same age as your father. Fellow Marines sending him off. I tell you - the armed forces sure do have some admirable traditions...

Did you know each fold of the flag represents something? I'm not going to run away with your thread, I will post it else where.

I am so very sorry for your loss. I did not know your father, nor did he know me. Yet, I felt safe each nite, putting my kids to bed and myself because of him.

I feel safe closing my eyes each night because of your father, my own father, and all the others who share that bond of fighting to keep America safe.

I salute him. Mostly, I thank him.

• That was very touching to see that video. My Uncle who was a court officer had all the same memorial service also. I believe if not for the USA and the soldiers Canada would not enjoy the freedom we have today as with the USA. I give thanks to the USA and the Canadian soldiers who are in Afghanistan right now. I believe your father fought for our country as well and democracy and freedom for all if other countries would see things the way we do. I believe absent from the body present with the Lord instantly. I pray you have the peace that your father is there right now smiling down and it's great you were there with your Dad helping him at the end. Remember the good times. Condolences for you and yours. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I hate to hear of this sad news, my prayers are with you and your family during this time. You have always been such an encouragment to me during tough times and I want you to know I am sending love and prayers your way. Thank you to your father for his service, as you know my own husband is a soldier. There is no desciribing the pride you have for them. Hugs to you hon.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    Please tell me that you and your husband are doing ok? I know he had to go back... I am sure its not easy on either of you.
    Missing seeing you here and all of your words and laughter
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • What a lovely ceremony for your father and may he rest in peace. He's now without pain, but I know it fills your family. May you find great comfort in the memories of your beloved father. I know I do.

Sending hugs your way my friend.