Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 yrs after lumbar l4/l5 surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello, i am new to this site and this is my first posting. After reading alot of great info, i decided to join.

I am 5 years after lumbar surgery of l4/l5. Both were herniated, one worse than the other. They reomoved the herniation that spilled out. And have been somewhat pain free since. With occasional pain after "over doing it" out in the yard.
Lately, i have been wakeing up with severe back pain, with minor sciatica down the left leg. Once i stretch and take a hot shower i feel alot better. With the exception of long sitting periods.
I am wondering if this could be the result of my bed. It is 10yrs old and lacks support. Could a poor bed really cause this kind of pain or do i need to get to my doctor? Thanks for any responses and glad to part of a community that underestands what this pain and suffering is like.

• i sure hope its the bed. how do you sleep ? back or side? i have trouble with sleeping on my side in a bed. i actually need the flat floor to get everything in my spine level. your back is in better shape than mine. to be on the safe side see your dr. an mri test may show what if anything is wrong.
    in the mean time try putting pillow between legs if you sleep on your side. i put 3 2x3's in between the mattress and box spring running the length of the bed. that firms up the bed. unless of course you want to get a new bed anyway.
    by the way welcome to our group. take a peak at all the articles and videos on this site. see faq info on top of this page. this is a great place for support and you will make many friends here if you stick around....pete

• probably better off seeing your doc just to be sure. Especially since the risk of reherniation after surgery is high. But, I can tell you that a worn out mattress can and will effect back pain in a very big way. I actually have a new fairly expensive bed and on the advice of some of the members here I went to Walmart and got one of those memory foam toppers. Not the little thin cheap ones but the ones that are very dense. You can get them in 2 or 4 inches brand name is Canopy. It has been a godsend! It actually does take the stress off of your pressure points. I highly recommend it especially if your mattress is in need of replacing anyway. I got the 4 inch for a king size bed and it cost $138.00 Well worth the investment.
This discussion has been closed.