Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SCS Trial

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Pain Management
Don't know if this will help anyone..but I thought I would share my trial experience.

I remember being in OR and them telling me to count backward from 100. I asked how far they thought I would get and they said 90. I remember 80 and then the next thing I knew I was awake with them asking me where I felt the stimulation. The left back was always felt in the right inside of the right butt cheek. This is the lead they believed punctured my spinal cord. I will get to that in a minute. I was then put under again...and awoke to them asking me where the stimulation was felt. I do not remember anything about the front leads...which were place under the skin. I awoke the third time in recovery and ANS rep setting up the programs for me to try.

I left the surgery center and immediatly had a headache like I have never felt before....my mother who took me to surgery center felt I was sick from pain meds and insisted I eat something. I reclined my seat in the car for the hour trip home. My mother got me settled in bed and I asked her to help prop me slightly on my side...the jolt was so much she had to turn unit off because I couldn't move. She rolled me back flat on my back and the unit was turned on. The next morning I was headed to work when I realied my head felt so funny. I decided to return home and called my doctor. He told me to meet him at the surgery center and I had a blood patch done for a spinal puncture. The next day I returned to my second job and after 3 hours passed out at work. At the time I had no idea what had happened but went home and laid down the rest of the day. The next day I just didn't feel right and laid around all day. The third day headache was so bad I couldn't do anything and called doctor again and he said I passed out from pain and blood patch didn't take...so i had another blood patch done. Amazing how they to that and immediately headache is gone. Thank goodness because I thought I was going to die and then wished I could. During this second blood patch they removed the trial stimulator. He said the stimulation was what made the blood patch break loose. Now I am very thin...and he said the lead moved a little and was tapping the spinal cord and that made the lead puncture the spine the first time and stimulation just made it rub the patch. All in all the stimulator eased enought pain that I knew this was the answer for me. Three days later I visited with doctor and he want a percentage of relief I felt. Well...putting a percentage to it was hard...just told him how I was able to reduce pain meds until withdrawal symptoms made me take them. We decided together that this was a great improvement in my quality of life...and I am set to have the permanent until place in 4 days. I can't wait to get some relief. Now that the trial unit is removed I do have more pressure...arthritis feeling in my low back and hips that I didn't feel before. This is due to the number of needles inserted into back for blood patches and such. I know this will go away as I didn't feel it with trial unit and brusing and swelling has my nerves all messed up right now.

I hope this helps someone. I am not scared to have the permanent unit as the relief was great. I had severe pelvic pain and have been taking vicodine 10's 2 at a time for over 2 years now. I can't live on the pain meds and don't want to take them anymore. Pelvic pain is thought to be cause by numberous adheasions. Cutting adheasions I am told creats more adheasions and I am not ready to quit living...so this is my opportunity to get some relief until I absolutely have to have adheasion removed.

I will post more after my permanent unit in place....but if I can answer any questions for anyone I will be happy to do so.

• i am glad you received relief from pain. the trial gave you so much discomfort. did the dr doing the trial have much experience? what kind of dr was he. what surgery did you have before trial...thanks...pete
  • My doctor is a Pain Management doctor. Best in his field and was in several studies using this device with Military vets. He has put in too many of these to count. It just happened and I can't blame anyone. I have lost over 45 pounds in the last 6 months due to pain and inability to stay up because of pain medicine. Now Pain medicine doesn't work at all and I eat but do not gain an ounce.

With pelvic pain there is no surgery they can do...they can cut the nerves, or cut out adheasions but neither was an option for me. Have been on heavy pain meds for 3 years and each year they get stronger and stronger.