Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SCS Charge

ernurseeernurse Posts: 790
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Pain Management
First, apologies if I missed a post about this.

Does anyone's butt burn while they recharge their scs? The charger feels warm to me but my butt inside feels on fire. Is this because the incision is still fresh(done on 8/28) and will get better?

I have a follow-up appt with doc next week, but just wondered about others' experiences so I can have a baseline when I talk to my doc. It's working(tho still positional, of course) in most of the places I want it to(was told would never get back pain coverage cuz of everything) but I didn't realize my butt would be on fire. Staples came out a few days ago and its still burns, but like I said, incision is still fresh.

• What brand of IPG did you have installed?
  • After I had my permanent placement, I described my "pocket" as stinging and burning just as a cut would. I think you're just feeling the fresh incisions and after a few weeks, all will be well. That is to say, I don't think what you're feeling is related to the charging.
  • husband just looked at my back, infection again. guess it's a good day for an operation and a picc line again.
  • I'm sorry to read that you have an infection. From your pen name, I assume you are a nurse. So you know to contact your doctor immediately.
  • Wow, bummer about the infection. I hope it is brought under control quickly.

Just FYI, like Susan, my pocket would burn a bit and the first few times I recharged, I would do it in increments and then ice the pocket down. It went away after about 8 weeks.

• I am so sorry to hear about your potential infection. I had one after my first back surgery and they are no fun. Good luck with the pic line. They never could get one in me because of my small veins.
  • I had burning pain for a long time with my first SCS. Mine is Boston Scientific and the charger was finally recalled and replaced due to burning people. Scary! The new charger works fine. It gets warm but not hot. Sorry about the infection.
  • To hear you have an infection, that just plain sucks.

As for the burn, yeah, the burn seems to be normal for a month or so after it is implanted. Mine stayed sore for a good while, search my old posts to see me whining :) Now, I can poke, prod, bump etc, doesn't bother me much at all.

Hope the infection clears quick and as painlessly as possible!
  • I did find out from the Boston Scientific rep that the charger will get up to 106 degrees and then shut off. So, you might think you are charging but you are not cuz it shuts off. He said you have to make sure you don't lay on pillows, the charger must be well ventilated to charge and not reach that temp. Um, 106 is a little hot, though, on a fresh incision. Anyway, just thought I'd share that.

Also, even when your sonar stops beeping, you have to make sure the implant is directly in the center of the charger or it will charge more slowly. I just thought it had to stop beeping and I had it, no, you've got to gently palpate(so you don't flip it) to make sure it is in the center. No wonder I never got to a full charge. How the frick are you supposed to palpate your butt implant when you hurt and you're not supposed to twist??? :) I guess that's where hubby comes in.

Oh, and that remote control thing with the sensor looking area at the top? That's NOT what you point at your butt, that's not where the signal to adjust comes out of. It comes out of the bottom of the remote where there is no sensor looking device.

Just FYI for others who were too out of it after the OR.