Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is AnyOne Here Pain Free?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Chronic Pain
I recently started the Fentayl patch ( 75 mg ) and at first I was really disappointed as I was still in a lot of pain. Then after the 2ed patch I seen a huge difference and the 3rd patch I was flying high! NO not that type of high. For the first time in years I felt like I had a decent chance at a life again.

Now I am 7th patch in and not quite so high. Pain is returning :(

I know I have options of a higher or more often patch change - new meds etc etc.

BUT what I am starting to ask myself and now all of you. Are any of "us" - those with chronic pain ever pain free??? :??

I am not even asking pain free in the true sense of the word. I am asking pain free in regards to the OMG pain level we reach.

My OMG ( top pain level ) is coming back and I just am not sure if a "pain free" life is even realistic to dream about any more. Or if it would be best to develop the frame of mind to be grateful for what the meds. do work on for pain level control. :?

Of course one should never stop seeking/hoping for more pain control. However I also think that a time comes when one has to accept it is what it is..... in order to move forward and create their own new normal. I guess I am trying to figure out my new normal. So I am asking this question.

Hope this makes sense and my use of words/terms does not offend anyone :)

• Honestly, I don't think any of us with serious spine problems are ever completely pain-free (although some people seem to come close - good for them). The most we can hope for, realistically, is an acceptable reduction in pain levels so we can have some kind of a life, and continue participating in at least some normal everyday activities. It can be very difficult, though. I am usually at a level 7-8 in the mornings and during/after activities that involve any kind of strain on my back (even silly things like shaving or washing the dishes). With rest (or light exercise, depending) and medication, it goes down to anywhere between, 3-6, approximately. It's always there, though. The thing that bothers me most these days is that I have two distinct types of pain, musculoskelatal and neuropathic, and when they flare-up together, they are... well, a pain.
  • I can remember the exact time and date I was last pain free, it was after a block in January. I woke up and just moved different, my head was clear, felt like there wasn't a thing wrong with my body; I didn't even need a tylenol. Shame the relief was so brief. I find myself fantasizing about feeling like that again but permanently- how weird is that?

I pretty much live were Huggy is at, my early mornings are usually OK but my pain gets worse as my morning goes on, and I'm usually back to horizontal by the afternoon. I've had a real bad week because of storms. My PM doctor has told me his goal for me is to be able to function to some degree as a "normal" person, but if he tries to get me "pain-free" I will just become tolerant and require higher doses and stronger meds. Has anyone been told this by their doctor?
  • with the others. There are no truly pain free days for me. The best that I am able to hope for is enough relief to function. I think that there is truth to waht the doc said about building a tolerance to the meds. I try to take the minimum required to just get bt with as I do not want to keep upping my meds too quickly.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    When I am asleep. Upon waking and until my meds put me down at night again .... OMG!

Maybe I need those Fentynl Lollipops!!

Then life and medication would really suck!!

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Yes lets see I was 14 yrs old was the last time I was pain free, I'm 62 now. Keep the faith.
  • Neurontin is the only one I have heard, what is terrgesic, tramadol, rivotril??
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    For most Spiney's, the day the first surgery, the first knife went into our spines, we sort of forgot about pain free.
    But thats fine, we have all come to live with that.
    Instead, we are hoping for existing with as much pain free time we can. We know its not going to be 24x7.
    But thats ok, most of us have accepted that. Those that havent, sometimes I wonder if they might be just doing more harm in the long run.
    We all have to find that blend that allows us to manage and control our pain. Look at The Blend after checking our our FAQ
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • on any dreams of pain free or even managed....the pain levels are intense, I constantly at a 8 or 9 and have even reached a 10 a few times, so I decided that I would accept what is. I do my best to try to convince myself that I can live with that and so far I have done okay at 3 1/2 hears post spine injury. I know that I will never reach a 5 or a 4, and it has to be as okay as I can make it be. If I don't, then I can't move on and I have to give up and I refuse to do that. I have 4 kids that depend on me, no matter what my pain levels are each day. They rely on mom to take care of them, not the other way around, and I try , with everything within my power to not let them down.
    I think that after we have tried most of the pain meds, and decided to either go with or not , the stimulators and pain pumps , we have to get to a point where we say, okay, it is what it is and then get on with it. ......and when we do that, we find that new normal that someone was talking about. I am never going to be the same woman who took 40 girl scouts camping with only one other adult, but I can still be as active in the lives of my children as I can be. I have learned to mask most of the pain, and hide my grimices and moans, well mostly anyway. At night, when it is quiet, I try to prepare myself for a new day and what it will bring.
  • That is something I think only those with non crippling pain can do.... The rest if us have about a lose lose situation and any little relief we get at all is too few and too far between all the times of misery. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Sure we can push and push and push but fir most of us in this kinda pain,all you doing is pushing yourself in a bigger hole of misery!
  • Hi Terihay, Temgesic is buprenorphine (a strong opioid), tramadol is a moderate-strength analgesic with both an opioid and non-opioid action, Rivotril is the same as Klonopin (clonazepam).
  • I actually can remember when I was pain free. Well unfortunately before my accident I wasn't pain free just a different type or level of pain. Now when I speak with the doctors we use terminology along the lines of "base line pain." The level of pain i am most used to. When my base line changes means we need to check to see if something isn't going on. My pain management doctor had me describe the pains and when I hit what was exceptable for me to live with daily we marked it as the base line pain. Since I have permanent nerve damage being pain free is not a reality, however we can always strive for the base line pain level. Some months were good and just maintaining and some months headed back to the drawing board. But for myself is the hope to achieve a more normal base line pain without the hills and valleys. Another reason I continue charting and journaling my pain. Just another method to keep myself in a reality check of what is the new normal(baseline).
  • ha ha ha ha
    it's been about 10 years and i forgot what it was like to live normally again. pain meds don't get rid of pain, they take the edge off of it and after a while you build a tolerance with them. don't up your dose if they don't feel as strong. go to your dr and discuss this with them and chance are this will be a red flag for the dr. asking for more meds is verbotim with drs. for years if feel like i am taking aspirin when i take pain meds because i am used to them but i still take them as directed. i asked once to up dosage and dr went ballistic. like ron said, after surgery you will never be pain free again. one needs to learn to live with it and deal with it. don't complain too much with friends and relatives because they don't understand. ask pain dr what one can do to help cope with the pain. i just put it in th eback of my mind. my wife has to help me get ready every morning and i go to work and deal with it at work also.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • After posting this I thought to myself "duh Beth - it's called CHRONIC PAIN forum for a reason" #o

However each post here has helped me in some way. I Thank each of you for sharing :)
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm still alive so how can I be painfree? Tolerable. That's my new answer to peoples how are you question. Either that or I'll smile and say I'm just tickled to death how about you? Well, I may as well be right? lol.
    Hope the rest of you are tolerable too.
  • No, I won't ever be unfortunately. I have too many problems going on in my back as well as permanent nerve damage. I'm already taking a lot of strong narcotic medications but I still have a lot of pain. They do however keep it bearable but there are some days that the pain flares up really badly.

When was the last time I was pain free? Let's see...it was right before I hurt my thoracic area. I was carrying bags in the rain and all of a sudden I felt lightening pain in my mid upper back. From there, the pain crept up into my neck and at the time the MRI showed only DDD and arthritis. I did the PT, took Vicodin and Soma, and waited for things to improve. A month later my lower back started aching and the pain radiated down to my foot. It started off as a nagging pain and then it blew up from there, and I wound up in my PCP's office crying and unable to walk. I landed in the ER after that too because the pain was excrutiating. I got nowhere with my PCP and so I made an appt with a spine clinic where I finally had an MRI which showed disc herniations at L4-S1.

That was like 3 1/2 years ago and the last time I was pain free.
  • Wouldn't it be WONDERFUL if we could have a pain free day!!! I know I will never have a pain free day again.....I have accepted that.
    All I ask is to have my pain down to a level I can live with. I can't even get that from my Doctors!!

How I would love is to be able to DO things again.
    Use my riding mower to mow my grass...put out a garden again....fill my flower beds with lovely flowers again...not to take the whole day to wash a few dishes....prepare a full meal...just simple every day things. To have a life again!!

Every day I strive to reach my goals. I have a long way to go but I WILL do it!! You betcha I will!!
    The next time i fall....i WILL get up on my own!!
    Patsy W
  • What a pain free day is like. I have accepted the fact that it is a part of my life forever. Kinda like taxes lol. No matter what, it's a part of our life.
This discussion has been closed.