Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cervical stenosis and weakness in legs

swaynesswayne Posts: 42
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Spinal Stenosis
hi im having acdf c5/6 on monday 21st sept and was just wondering would my condition affect my legs because they feel very weak and tired,i walked round a market on sunday and was in agony afterwards in my legs and my lower back also i find it very difficult to walk in the morning or when ive been sitting down for a bit.

• Hi,
    I think I remember you from a time back...
    I go back to surgeon for check up on 21st of this month
    So I will keep you in my thoughts..

I felt the same issues with my legs about 4 and 1/2 years ago.
    Hugs to all..Patsy
  • Hi Swayne,

More than likely your surgeon will say your leg issues are correlated to your neck. However, my personal experience says yes they are. The only way to tell is if you have the surgery and they feel better. Some conditions that will effect the legs are mylopathy, rethrodesis, cervical stenosis. Without knowing the particulars of your need for surgery it would be hard for anyone to say wether your leg issues are definitely correlated to your neck. If you have pressure on the cord, I am going to bet they are though. There are many articles that discuss this but seems most get told by doctors they are not related. Use the search function at the top of the page and put in cervical stenosis and you can get some ideas of the symptoms involving the legs. Good luck on surgery and hope it stops all of your problems. Take care.

• yeah i remember you its seems like ages ago i started on here and ive still not had my opp but fingers crossed for monday,
    also goodluck for your checkup hope your on the mend :SS
  • thanks tamtam im almost certain its my neck causeing this so only time will tell i think
    thanks for your reply, wayne
  • Hi I am new to this forum, but i have been investigated for leg twitchings(fasciculations) they say may be due to osteophytic bar at C4/5 bilateral foraminal compression at C5 roots and C6.However my NS is still unsure that this is caused by these problems although MRI scan of brain is normal.I had spinal decompression at L4/5 in 2003 and a spinal fusion in 2006 and i still experience pain from time to time in the lower back. I am so confused as i was hoping the experienced surgeon I saw would have an answer.
  • I have been diagnosed with cervical stenosis and two procedures were recommended,posterior cervical laminectomy and anterior cervical corpectomy. My major symtom is weakness in both legs when I stand without movement 10-15 minutes. If I sit down the weakness goes away within a few minutes. On one occasion did I lose all feeling in the legs and fell to the ground. I have no pain. I have been evaluated by two surgeons. One recommends immediate surgery to prevent possible spinal cord damage from a fall or whiplash. He would do the surgeries separated by one day. Another surgeon advises that I could wait to see if condition worsens and he would do both surgeries one after the other the same day which appeals to me rather than having two separate surgeries on different days. Has anyone experienced this situation? Would there be greater risk having both surgeries during one operation?
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I hope that your surgery went well and that you're doing okay.

• hi debbie yes my surgery went ok im doing very well i think and ive no collar to contend with,its a bit difficult to swallow but not to bad,i have moderate pain in my neck and shoulders which i expected thanks for asking wayne
  • Good to hear you got that surgery out of the way..
    Now you take it easy and even though you might feel like you can do something you were told not to... DON'T do it..
    Sherbet icecream helped with my throat. just put that pain pill right in the spoon with the sherbet and you will be good to go..If you tilt head up (not much) it might help a little with swallowing. just my experience..
    Sending you a smile Wayne..
    Hugs to all..Patsy
  • i feel great now swallowing is ok done a bit to much over last couple of days so a bit sore now but not to bad thanks for your support
    i was picking things up off the floor in the hospital ie slippers etc and was never told not to they seem very relaxed about me in there
  • Good to hear your swallowing has gotten better.
    Hows your leg weakness?
    Patsy P.
  • hi patsy im not sure how my leg is if its better its not much better i walk and feel like im 60 years old not 35 im doin a fair bit of walkin atleast a mile a day,im very careful goin down stairs i feel like my legs could give way on me but they hav not yet, my scar has healed well so im going to see if i can go swimming a few times a week starting next week.
  • Hi... make sure you get the okay to go swimming so soon after surgery, it takes neck muscles to keep that head up buddy.
    I'm glad to hear your doing better everyday...
    smile to you Patsy P.
  • ohhhhhh yeah i never thought of that il ask cheers