Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain on opposite side after surgery

Justin66JJustin66 Posts: 95
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a microdiscectomy on Aug. 18th after the intial surgery pain wore off I was feeling better. I am still having some weird sciatica issues. I don't have much if any weakness anymore but I do have other issues.

Most of all my symptoms of pain and sciatica were on the left side of my body. Before surgery the pain would sometimes swap to the opposite side of my body but would only hurt in my lower back.

The sciatica I feel is still swapping sides on me. Right now it is in my right side. When the pain is on my left side it only produces a pulled feeling in the back of my left leg. When the pain is on the right side its only felt in my lower right hand side of my back and there is little to no sciatica on the left.

I told the surgeon about this and he said thats odd. He went on to say that it takes up to 6 months to totally heal.

My thoughts were there is something still pushing on my nerves, the nerves may still be swelled at this time, or the disc may take time to return to a normal shape after being herniated for so long.

Has anyone else had this happen or am i just lucky.
advertisement

Comments

• I cannot give you a reason why it happens, but I have had a similar situation. All my pain is in my leg or legs. It is usually in the right leg, sometimes is in both legs, and occasionally, only on the left leg. Usually it goes through a cycle of several days or a week, rather than by the hour.

Your surgery was not that long ago. I would give it more time before becoming too worried. You probably still have some inflammation.
  • It sure is weird and dissapointing but im trying to stay positive its hard though. My wife acts like im bringing her down because im hurting but its for me to be upbeat and happy like I was before I hurt my back. She understands what im going through but boy its tough sitting around thinking how I used to feel good and never think about this kind of mess. Just depressing.

You don't realize all the things you take for granted until your messed up. Its nothing like getting older and back trouble knocking the wind out of your sail.