Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Discectomy - pain progressively worse post op

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Lower Back Pain
Had l4 l5 decompression & discectomy surgery on Fri 9/11. The first couple of days I was a bit sore around the incision but my leg pain was gone. Beginning Sunday evening, my leg pain has been coming back getting progressively worse. I realize that I am only at day 6, but the fact that it seems to be getting worse instead of better has me concerned.

I would love to hear from anyone that has experience with this.

• you have joined up with lots of other people in pain. there is a lot to learn here by sharing info with others. ther are also many good articles and videos to study...take a look at FAQ above..
    i personally never had a discectomy but i understand that steroids may be used during the surgery to reduce swelling. that could be the reason for initial pain loss. people take up to or even over a year before nerves calm down. try to hang in there and do what the dr advises. no lifting bending, stretching. dont sit for long periods without getting up and doing a little walking. please keep us posted and i'm sure someone whos gone through this procedure will respond shortly to your post.....good luck to you....pete
  • I had the exact same experience as you are having in Dec 07 I had endoscopic microD. If the nerve has been compressed for awhile it will take it some time to heal. My pain got much, much worse before it got better. I could not even lift my leg unless I grabbed my pant leg with my hand and lifted for about 4 or 5 months after surgery. Good luck and keep us posted.
This discussion has been closed.