Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi from Nancy in NYC

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi Everyone,

My name is Nancy, I'm 45 and have been dealing with back problems in one form or another since I was 18. I was very overweight for most of my life. At 18 I was 400 pounds and the seat in my car partly broke and I drove 50 miles each way to work. That was my first L5S1 diagnosis. My lower back continued to give me problems until I lost the weight at 36. When I got down to 185 most of my low back pain was manageable with occasional NSAIDs.

With new found relief and strength I decided to leave my computer industry desk job and become a paramedic. In retrospect it wasn't the smartest move as they say that 80% of nurses/EMTs/Paramedics will suffer some form of back injury.

Another important thing is that I had weight loss surgery to get the weight off. This would eventually lead to a vitamin D deficiency and osteomaliga (softening of the bones, also known as rickets).

My MRI and CT reports list problems from sacral to thorasic. I've been on pain management for the last two years and I'm currently fully disabled as I can't sit or stand for extended periods.

I recently switched pain management doctors from one that pretty much just gave me a script every month to one that wants to work together to get me relief without narcotic pain meds. As most of my pain is low back after sitting they've recommended radio frequency ablation. They've identified the nerves involved with two diagnostic injections and I'm scheduled to have my left side done in a couple of weeks.

It would be great to hear from folks that have had this procedure and anything I should look out for. The idea is to get me out of pain so I can do PT as they've told me the ablation lasts 6-12 months.

That's the crash course in Nancy. I've heard great things about the site and look forward to participating.

--- Nancy

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am so glad you stopped by. i am sure others will drop by with info on that procedure. be sure and look it up on the side under "Forum Navigation" "Pain Topics A-Z. that will give you some info on the procedure.. =D> good luck and i look forward to hearing from you! :D Jenny :)
  • :H Welcome and thank you for sharing your story.

So sorry for our discomfort and certainly hope this new procedure will be of benefit to you. I don't have any experience with nerve ablation but others on this site will certainly respond to you with their experiences.

:| Not happy for why you found us but you will find a lot of good information and support from our spiney community.

Take care,

• If you type ablation into the forum search box you will come up with some older posts, if you care to read what others have said. This particular one has some useful information: http://www.spine-health.com/forum/lower-back-pain/radiofrequency-rhizotomy-ablation

You might want to go to the Lower Back Pain or Chronic Pain section and make a new post. That way more members will see it and will be able to respond.

Good luck. I hope this procedure works well for you.

• Welcome to Spine Health. I can understand the draw to become a medical professional later in life. That's cool and I'm sure you have met many fantastic people along the way. Sorry that your spine problems have brought that to a halt for you.

There are many good PM docs out there and I hope that you have found one who is willing to stick with you and help you find the key to some sort of functionality and less pain.

You will find a bunch of great folks here on Spine Health. Welcome aboard.

• I have had great succes with RF Ablation. It normally lasts for me about 9-12 months. Just don't expect immediate relief. It takes 4-6 weeks to get relief from this procedure. Good luck and please keep us posted.